Monday, November 22, 2010

Do You Know Who I Am?

One of the things that I love best about rereading the Bible is discovering something new each time. I'm currently on my fifth time through, and each time I find a Psalm that sings to my soul. This weekend I rediscovered Psalm 91. It is filled with so many beautiful promises, I wrote the complete Psalm in my prayer journal as a reminder. Every word fills me with hope and joy for where I am in my life right now. I hope it speaks the same way to you.


 1 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
      will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
 2 This I declare about the Lord:
   He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;
      he is my God, and I trust him.
 3 For he will rescue you from every trap
      and protect you from deadly disease.
 4 He will cover you with his feathers.
      He will shelter you with his wings.
      His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
 5 Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night,
      nor the arrow that flies in the day.
 6 Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness,
      nor the disaster that strikes at midday.
 7 Though a thousand fall at your side,
      though ten thousand are dying around you,
      these evils will not touch you.
 8 Just open your eyes,
      and see how the wicked are punished.
 9 If you make the Lord your refuge,
      if you make the Most High your shelter,
 10 no evil will conquer you;
      no plague will come near your home.
 11 For he will order his angels
      to protect you wherever you go.
 12 They will hold you up with their hands
      so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.
 13 You will trample upon lions and cobras;
      you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet!
 14 The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me.
      I will protect those who trust in my name.
 15 When they call on me, I will answer;
      I will be with them in trouble.
      I will rescue and honor them.
 16 I will reward them with a long life
      and give them my salvation.”

Do You Know Who I Am by Angela Thomas answers the top twelve questions a woman's heart asks the Lord. Thomas, a popular speaker at women's conferences and churches, as well as an author of ten books, is remarkably honest and open about her struggles with faith and the suffering in her life. She uses each to help women learn more about God and their role as a Christian woman. She asks questions like: Do you know I am invisible; do you know I am trembling inside; do you know I am lonely; do you know I am broken, and then answers them with truths about God: He is my God who sees; he is my comforter; he is here; he is my redeemer. By using the question and answer format, she really gets to the core of many of our fears and worries, and then soothes them by demonstrating how God's nature in each circumstance offers healing and strength. Readers don't need to read the book straight through, but can jump to a specific question that lies heavily on their heart, but at the same time, there is a thread running through each chapter of Thomas' journey through faith and redemption. I enjoyed reading Thomas' writing because she never makes the reader feel guilty for their weaknesses; she is also encouraging and loving. It's a devotional that can be read again and again for deeper understanding.

Thank you to A.Larry Ross Communications for providing me with a copy of this book for review.

Today's picture is my mom with my nephew Arden. He's just the cutest little guy! Can't wait to see him for Thanksgiving.

0 comments: