Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Bezalel

I'm up to the book of Ruth in my Bible reading. That's nowhere near what I thought I'd be doing when I first planned my fast. I figured that with my average of 350 pages a day, I'd burn through a new bible every week. Instead I'm on day 12 of the fast and averaging 40 pages a day. I have discovered that my nightly reading has become so much richer when I just sit down and start reading as opposed to my former scheduled 3 chapters and a Psalm or Proverb each night. During those readings I rarely had deep insight or new understanding and honestly, it wasn't enjoyable.
Now I open my Bible each night around 10 pm and read until my eyes can't stay open any longer, and it's the rare night that I don't highlight several passages or write furiously in my journal.

A few nights ago while reading in Exodus, I came across Moses' speech to the Israelites about the construction of the Tabernacle. The detailed instructions go on for several chapters and can make a reader's eyes glaze over with boredom, but in the middle of all of the cubits and acacia wood is Bezalel.

Then the LORD said to Moses, "See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of craftsmanship. Exodus 31:1-5

Then Moses said to the Israelites, "See, the LORD has chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood and to engage in all kinds of artistic craftsmanship. And he has given both him and Oholiab son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan, the ability to teach others. He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as craftsmen, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers—all of them master craftsmen and designers. Exodus 35:30-35

These verses filled my writer's mind with fascination. I imagine Bezalel pre-Exodus: making bricks along with all of the other Hebrews. He works from dawn to dark each day, making bricks and putting together buildings under the harsh direction of an Egyptian slavemaster. Does he watch carefully how each building comes together? Does he take mental notes on the vibrant colors used in decorating these beautiful constructions? When he goes home each night, before falling exhausted into his bed, does he scratch out designs of his own on scraps of papyrus? Did he wonder why on earth God filled his heart and mind with so much beauty and knowledge and then put him in a life that worked his fingers to the bone and his body to the breaking point without ever getting to share the beauty of his imagination?

Then Moses approaches Pharaoh and orders him to allow the Hebrews to go into the wilderness to sacrifice and worship to God. Pharaoh of course refuses and sets in motion the series of plagues that will eventually force him to release them, including Bezalel. And then they are on the move, crossing the Red Sea, traveling across the desert. I wonder, did Bezalel have a flutter in his soul at the freedom? Did he have just a glimpse of hope that he would finally be able to use the knowledge that God had granted him?

Moses spent a lot of time on the mountaintop talking to God, but can you imagine the joy Bezalel experienced when Moses came down and said that God had appointed him, Bezalel, to design all of the beautiful things He wanted in the Tabernacle? Bezalel, who never had access to gemstones or luxurious fabrics, knew just how to cut them and weave them into objects beautiful enough to be used in the House of God.

God knew what he was doing all along when He placed the knowledge within Bezalel's heart and mind. He created him just for this purpose, and because Bezalel waited and trusted in the Lord, he was given an enormous responsibility and blessing. God has placed talent and wisdom in each of us as well, and we have to place our trust in Him that what we have is vital and necessary for His kingdom. God doesn't waste time or effort, so there is something in every single person that He intends to use.

What gift is burning inside of you? Take some time today and ask God to show you, and if He doesn't answer today, trust that it is there and someday He will call upon you to use it!

1 comments:

Terri said...

Thank you for posting this! I've probably read this passage one hundred times and never given a second thought to Bezalel.

There is very little rhyme or reason for what I read when I do my nightly devotion. I'm going to give your method a try and let God show me what He will!