Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Knight


My birthday was much better than I had expected it to be. I was dreading it all week because of the association with Doogie going off to college, but God gave me a new way to look at his leaving the nest. Doogie left me on Thursday, August 27; nineteen years to the day that I moved out of my parents home (to marry his dad). There's an odd kind of serendipity to it, and that realization changed my focus from what I'm losing to an anticipation about what the future will bring. I can't wait to see what God will be writing on the pages of my son's life!

Jesse bought me exactly what I had asked for: Charles Spurgeon books! I got Morning by Evening and Prayer and Spiritual Warfare. Spurgeon is my faith hero; I've been wanting some of his books forever and already started highlighting them! I also received five books in the mail yesterday, which made for more fun.

This afternoon my mom called me with big news; the local thrift store was holding a bag sale: all the clothing you can fit in a paper bag for $6.99. Over the years, I've perfected my bag packing skills (rolling them tightly is a vital aspect) so that one paper bag will fill a 13 gallon garbage bag! $18.17 bought 66 items of clothing, including several name brand (Aeropostle, American Eagle, Old Navy, Abercrombie & Fitch, etc) items. Mia even got a silky Disney Princess bathrobe. There is little that I love more than a good sale like that! =)

The Knight by Steven James is the third book is the exciting Patrick Bowers series. FBI Agent Bowers uses his unique geographic profiling skills to track down the most violent of criminals. He'll have to use all of his abilities to find a sadistic murderer who is killing people for a twisted story before Bowers and his stepdaughter Tessa become the next victims. This riveting thriller never lets up for a second. From tense courtroom drama to intense action scenes, every page zips by. I love how James has given Bowers an unusual ability, making him stand out from the overloaded FBI action genre. Bowers relies more on his brain than his brawn to outwit criminals, but he's a bit clueless about matters of the heart in interactions with Tessa and possible new love interest Cheyenne. If you're going through withdrawal this summer because of repeats on Criminal Minds, Numbers, CSI, etc, Patrick Bowers will satisfy your need for a smart and scary suspenseful thriller.

Available August 2009 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

0 comments: