Friday, July 31, 2009

When Someone You Love Has Cancer

No time to write much today. I promised Mia that I would take her to the beach swimming today while we waited for Molly to get done with work. She did some swimming yesterday, but it was so cold and rainy, we didn't stay as long as she would have liked, but today it's beautiful and sunny, perfect swimming weather. She's been asking when we're going to leave since she woke up this morning, so I'm going to get done quickly so we can get out the door!

When Someone You Love Has Cancer by Cecil Murphey couldn't have come at a better time for me. Three days before I received the email about this book, I got word that my uncle's cancer had come back. As someone who is living this right now, this book is perfect. It's short and an incredibly easy read, perfect for anyone who's facing the horrible news but doesn't want to spend hours paging through a book filled with statistics and dry advice. Murphey's book has short anecdotes with down to earth wisdom for the family and friends of cancer sufferers. Some of the advice may seem like common sense, but when your life is turned upside down, common sense is remarkably rare. Each chapter ends with a short prayer for understanding and strength. The most important advice given is for caregivers to just listen and be present for those facing cancer, something that I needed to hear. This book offers hope in the midst of a frightening time. Now that I've finished reading it, I will be passing it on to my mom, and I'm sure that she will pass it on as well. It's that kind of book.

Next week I'm starting a new book contest that is way too good to pass up; you won't want to miss this one!

Today's pictures are of Mia perfecting the art of roasting a marshmallow. Note the little flame on top of the marshmallow in the second picture. She really did make them just right!

1 comments:

Gail P Smith said...

Thanks so much Christy for sharing this book. I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. It seems so many of our lives are touched by this disease. It's good to know there's a book like this out there to help us find words of comfort in the turmoil of illness.
Gail P. Smith