Wednesday, April 01, 2009

The Real Enemy

Yesterday was the first major rehearsal for Mia's dance recital on Sunday. This is her first recital, so it's new to all of us, but I think I'm almost more excited than she is. Parents were allowed to sit in the theater to watch it, and for the first time I heard the songs they are using. I'm so glad I had a tissue in my pocket! The little girls are dancing to Stephen Curtis Chapman's Cinderella. I texted Jesse saying he'd better be prepared to cry during the recital. The lyrics are so sweet, "Please Daddy, please, dance with me." And to see my little girl up there twirling to it...wow. The song has even more meaning knowing that it was written for his daughter who last year died in a tragic car accident. I will be bringing a pocket full of tissues for the actual recital on Sunday, and I can't help but think that there will be lots of tears.

Today's pictures show off Molly. Sunday evening she was bored, so she took four sheets of paper and cut out letters from her magazines to spell out her name in the center. Then she cut out other phrases that she felt identified her until she completely covered the paper. I thought it was very creative and enlightening as to how she sees herself. The other picture is from basketball cheerleading. Isn't she gorgeous?

The Real Enemy by Kathy Herman is the first book in the Sophie Trace trilogy. Police Chief Brill Jessup moved her family from Memphis, Tennessee to the small town of Sophie Trace to get away from the bitter reminders of her husband's betrayal. Kurt and Brill have decided to remain together for the sake of their nine-year old daughter, Emily, but it's a marriage in name only, and they both struggle to keep up the facade. Brill's tested in her first day on the job when a citizen disappears, seemingly off the face of the earth with no evidence as to how or why. In the succeeding six days, six more people disappear, and now, not only is her marriage in jeopardy, but her job is as well. Brill, Kurt, and Emily are all terrific characters, well-rounded and interesting, and the plot is full of twists and turns. The investigation is hindered by a local legend of angry Cherokee ghosts avenging the loss of their land, so the town of Sophie Trace becomes its own character. There's a profound message of forgiveness and temptation that Herman handles with flair. My only complaint with this thriller is that the reconciliation at the end of the novel seems to come out of the nowhere. I felt like I had missed a chapter because of the 180 degree turn in attitudes. That said, I plan on returning to Sophie Trace soon.

I'm giving away Robert Jefress' Clutter-free Christianity this week. To sign up, drop me an email before 10 pm tomorrow night. Good luck!

0 comments: