Thursday, April 02, 2009

Certain Jeopardy

I've come across some amazing quotes about prayer in my devotional reading this past week, and I wanted to share them again with you.

The hard work of prayer is getting yourself into a state of mind in which you prefer the will of God over your own. - A.W. Tozer

To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing. - Martin Luther

The message is clear...History belongs to the intercessors, who believe the future into being. - Walter Wick

The colored sunsets and starry heavens, the beautiful mountains and the shining seas, the fragrant woods and painted flowers, are not half so beautiful as a soul that is serving Jesus out of love in the wear and tear of common, unpoetic life. - Frederick William Faber

What a man is alone on his knees before God, that he is, and no more. - Robert Murry McCheyne

There is nothing, no circumstance, no trouble, no testing that can ever touch me until, first of all, it has come past God and past Christ, right through to me. If it has come that far, it has come with a great purpose. - Alan Redpath

Many have knowledge, but little judgment...those who have both are furnished for the service of God. - Matthew Henry

He who cannot forgive another breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself. - George Herbert

...[You must forgive] when you calculate the cost of holding on to the debt is more than you're willing to pay. - Robert Jeffress

And I've discovered these wonderful quotes from Charles Spurgeon. I had heard of him, but never read any of his works. After finding these, I have to change that!

Man's extremity is God's opportunity.

Those people who only sail in a little boat on a lake have no stories to tell of adventure at sea. But he who is to write a book describing long voyages must travel far out of sight of land and behold the sea in the time of storm, as well as in a calm.

There must be many a man who knows within himself that he cannot be trusted with success.

God will not kill his children with sweets any more than He will destroy them with bitters.

And my favorite: Groanings which cannot be uttered are often prayers that cannot be denied.

I pray that at least one of those touches your heart today and speaks to where you are.

Certain Jeopardy by Jeff Struecker and Alton Gansky is like the TV show The Unit on steroids! A group of six men appear to live normal American lives, but at any time they can be called to report to a Special Operations group performing actions for the safety of their country at the risk of their lives. The men are called to Venezuela to investigate rumors of a Al-Qaeda training camp. Instead they stumble into the kidnapping of a nuclear scientist who can empower Iran to create their own nuclear weapons. To rescue him and his family that is being held hostage for his cooperation will force them to use every skill they know and may cost them their lives. I'm not usually a fan of military thrillers, but this book grabbed me on page one and didn't let go until I finally remembered to breathe again at the end. Struecker has served several tours of duty himself, so the writing gives an inside look at secret military operations and the incredible amount of skill and fortitude needed by its members. The action is written so that every scene is almost cinematic; I could see it play out in my head. Interspersed are scenes of the families at home coping with never knowing where their loved ones are or if they will come home. Together they create a powerful look at Army life. I hope that the authors will revisit this team, because I would love to read more!

Today is the last day to sign up to win a copy of Robert Jeffress' Clutter-free Christianity. You have until 10 pm tonight to drop me an email. I'll announce the winner and post my review tomorrow!

0 comments: