Saturday, January 17, 2009

Not Easily Broken

Howard was not flown to Bellin hospital because of a new health crisis. Bellin is just able to offer more intensive care than the hospital in Iron Mountain. Now a nurse is with him 24/7 monitoring his stats and keeping an eye on him. He's not actually in a coma (yay!) but is heavily sedated so that he doesn't pull out the tubes that are helping him to breathe. He still looks so sick. They did a CAT scan on him today, and tomorrow he's getting an MRI. He isn't moving his upper right side at all, so that's of some concern. He can't even completely close his right eye. I prayed for him again at his bedside last night, and when I was talking to the nurse, he started stirring and waking up, because he recognized my voice. For now, family has to keep quiet and keep visits to a minimum for his body to recover.

In good news, we have a new cousin today! Jesse's cousin Debbie gave birth to Tristan Carl last night. He's about four weeks premature, so he only weighed 5 lbs and is in the NICU, so I ask that you keep the family in your prayers.

Last weekend a new movie opened up, and I was lucky enough to review the book it was based on over two years ago. I wanted to rerun my review today in hopes that you will go check out the movie. I can't wait to see it!

Not Easily Broken by T.D. Jakes is the first book I’ve read by the bishop, but I’ll definitely be returning for more! Dave and Clarice Johnson’s marriage is shaky to begin, but after an accident shatters Clarice’s leg, it appears that their relationship may also be destroyed. Dave is drawn to Clarice’s physical therapist, Julie, and things begin to spiral out of control. I was moved by the in depth look Jakes gives to both spouses’ sides of the story without excusing either of them. One of the strongest elements of the book is the realistic dialogue. Jakes captures conversations, flirtations, and fights with equal strength, and it really brings the characters to life. He also incorporates God into the story without being preachy or forcing the characters to act in ways that seem unrealistic.

My RA is really acting up today. I think it's a combination of cold weather with a stressful week. I'm taking it easy today so I can go to church tomorrow morning. I'll be back tomorrow with a new review!

0 comments: