Saturday, November 08, 2008

Suspicious Minds

My peace of mind yesterday was quickly under attack. Within half an hour of posting my blog, I received a phone call from the high school vice principal, a rather disrespectful phone call from one of my teens (the call from the principal was about the other one), and Mia threw one of the biggest tantrums I've ever seen. It was as if by talking about the joy I'd found in spite of my circumstances, I jinxed it! Of course, I'm not superstitious, and I recognize it for what it was. Satan absolutely does not want us to have any kind of peace or joy, so when we find it, he'll do all he can to shake it. Part of me couldn't help laughing as events whirled around me, and because I found the humor in the sheer over-the-top situation, I held onto my joy. I just kept reminding myself that Jesus was still large and in charge, despite my circumstances. I wish that meant that I had kept complete control of my temper, but I do think that I was far calmer than I normally would have been.

Suspicious Minds
by Christy Barritt is the second in the Squeaky Clean series starring crime scene cleaner Gabby St. Claire. Gabby is working hard as an industrial cleaner and trying to get her degree in police science all while dating a police officer. She stumbles upon the body of an Elvis impersonator while doing an appraisal of a site and is quickly sucked into the investigation when she's hired by the Elvis' wife to find the killer. Things really get messy when a second body is found in the same spot and Gabby finds that there's competition for her job in her small town. Barritt writes with an excellent ear for dialogue; it positively sings across the page. Gabby is an intriguing character. She has retreated from the world for fear of being hurt, but at the same time is trying valiantly to find her place in it. In Suspicious Minds, she starts reaching out to the tenants in her apartment building and making connections, including one with God. Gabby is a terrific character who you can't help but like, and I hope that Barritt is able to finish the series!

Mia wanted to wait until tomorrow for Mia & Mommy's Book Blog (sorry!). She had a big day today at a cousin's baby shower. So we'll be back tomorrow.

0 comments: