Monday, May 12, 2008

The Voice

The Amish quilt auction was a great day with Molly and my mom. We ate donuts and chocolate covered cashew crunch. I got a new comforter for our bed, plus a few other items for around the house. At one point during the sale, a baby quilt was going for a such a low price that I couldn't resist buying it. Molly asked me why I bought it, and I responded with, "Well, someone's going to have a baby." When we got home, we found out that Jesse's cousin Bonnie is indeed pregnant! Now, I just have to hope that it's a girl, because the blanket is pink. Molly and I came home with sunburns, which is par for the course.


I'm not a big fan of Mother's Day (for many reasons). But Molly bought me a hanging geranium, and Doogie bought me a cactus. Mia brought home some cute things for me from school, so I am blessed that way. Yesterday was also Jesse and my sixth wedding anniversary. We didn't do anything to celebrate, but I'm hoping we can do something this weekend for his birthday, which is Thursday. Unfortunately at the end of the night, my grandma had to be rushed to the hospital via ambulance because she has pneumonia. She was seriously dehydrated as well. Please offer up some prayers for her comfort and health; she's 86 and very frail.

The Voice by Bill Myers is an interesting twist on the popular apocalyptic genre of Christian fiction. The voice of God has been discovered in the rocks of certain regions of Israel where the Bible records that He spoke. The imprint upon those rocks has been translated into an actual recording that is shaking the core of the earth's religions. The scientists who made this discovery are kidnapped, and their 13-year-old daughter runs to her uncle Charlie, a former special forces agent, for help. Together, along with FBI agent Lisa, they race to rescue her parents as well as discover the truth behind this mysterious discovery. Myers takes an intriguing concept and ratchets up the suspense and thrills. It's a real what if book. What if God's voice could be heard? How would people react to hearing it? How would it change the world that it created? How would religions respond? Myers answers all of these questions in this fast-paced thriller. It's a fun read with deep meaning.

I'm kicking off a new book contest today. If you'd like to win a copy of Healing Promises by Amy Wallace, drop me an email at christysbookblog@gmail.com before midnight on Thursday, May 15th. I'll announce the winner here on Friday when I review the book. Good luck!

0 comments: