Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Bride So Fair


I've been cranking a little bit on the blog this week, so I thought today I'd share a few things that I've come across on the web that bring a smile to my face.

I don't remember exactly how Jesse found this site, but he and Mia had a blast exploring it. Animal Fun gives a list of the different names for animals by sex and age, and then the names for a group of them. Did you know that a group of peacocks is an ostentation? Or that a male hawk is a tiercel, and female is a hen, and a baby is an eyas?

We found this no-frills site a few months ago when Mia asked what a fox sounded like. Sounds of the Fox has a huge variety of fox sounds including babies, fighting, and a haunting howling. Take a few minutes and listen, you'll have a hard time just listening to one.

I love this video. Diablo Cody mentioned it in her Entertainment Weekly column. I've made everyone I know watch it. Now you have to too!

One last link. This one made Mia giggle hysterically. The Bear Rub shows off some moves that put Dancing With the Stars to shame.

A Bride So Fair by Carol Cox is her third book to take place at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. In this installment, Emily Ralston is working at a babysitting service at the fair when security guard Stephen Bridger brings in a little boy who has lost his parents. But when no one comes to pick up little Adam at the end of the day, Emily takes him home to her boarding house rather than turn him over to the authorities who would put him in an orphanage. Emily's decision quickly puts her in peril when Adam's mother's body is discovered in a storage shed at the fair and his father turns out to be one of the most dangerous men in all of Chicago. Cox packs a lot of description and interesting info about the World's Fair into this suspenseful romance. Cox incorporates faith and history in an engaging manner in this romantic story.

Don't forget to sign up to win one of two copies of Jane Kirkpatrick's A Mending at the Edge by sending me an email at christysbookblog@gmail.com before midnight tonight. I'll be kicking off another contest tomorrow.



0 comments: