Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Next Level

Today was a bit of a letdown for Doogie. He took his driving test for the first time and failed. To be honest, I'm a little glad. He was a little too unconcerned about driving for me. This is definitely a case where he will learn far more by failing than he would have by succeeding. I failed my test the first time too, and it definitely made me want it and value it far more. I didn't do any driving during my first marriage, so driving really became a form of independence for me after the divorce. I still love driving (although it hurts my hands to hold the wheel for too long). I love my van with it's flowered seat covers and steering wheel. I love putting on a good CD and driving down the highway while I sing at the top of my lungs. I don't get the opportunity to do that very often with gas prices being what they are (it costs almost $80 to fill my van up completely). But yesterday with Dad watching Mia, I had over an hour just to enjoy the drive. Someday Doogie will get to experience that freedom too, but not today.


The Next Level by David Gregory is another of his allegorical novels like Dinner with a Perfect Stranger and Day with a Perfect Stranger. Logan is out of college and looking for a job when he applies at Universal Systems. He meets with the CEO and is immediately offered a position doing exactly what he'd like: organizational analyst. Logan starts on the first level of the company and views the procedures of the company to evaluate its strengths and weaknesses. What he finds are mostly weaknesses: employees so busy doing their own thing that there is no cohesive product. As Logan figures out the mystery of each level of the company, he's bumped up to the next, until he's on the enigmatic fifth level. Gregory writes a book with real depth for Christians looking for answers about what God is calling them to do. Each level represents a level of faith, and he captures the pitfalls legalism, apathy, and denominationalism perfectly. The ultimate message of the book, while not new, is delivered in a new way with great potential for application to real life. It's a book I will recommend to anyone wondering about what God really wants them to be doing with their life.

I'm giving away to copies of this book this week. If you'd like to enter, drop me an email at clockstein at centurytel.net (replace at with @) before midnight on Thursday. I'll announce the winners on Friday. Good luck!

0 comments: