Monday, March 24, 2008

For Pete's Sake


We had a wonderful Easter. We missed the 8:30 service at church, but arrived just in time for the 9:30 breakfast. The 10:30 service was very powerful. The choir sang a terrific song that moved Jesse, Molly, and the pastor to tears. It's an amazing thing when your pastor is so moved by the Spirit that even he can't contain it. We got to see our first baptism by immersion. Mia wanted to know why they were swimming during church, and Doogie's jaw nearly scraped the floor. I thought it was beautiful, and my heart craves it for myself. Jesse and Molly feel the same way.


God has been speaking to me, as He often does, through Scripture. When I read through the Bible, I just start at the beginning and work my way through. I don't have a set plan other than two chapters and two Psalms (or Proverbs) a night. I usually give myself Friday nights off so that I don't ever come to view it as a chore, and that's usually the night Jesse and I watch a movie if we have time. Friday night, as usual, I didn't pick up my Bible, but Saturday I opened it up to continue my reading. I couldn't believe my eyes when I started reading Isaiah 53, which is his prophecy of the events of Good Friday 700 years before it happened. Perfect timing for the night before Easter! Last night during my reading, I ended up reading verses that we had sung in church that morning. I love the fact that God is His majestry seeks insignificant me out through my Bible reading because He loves me.


For Pete's Sake by Linda Winsor is the second book in the Piper Cove Chronicles. It isn't at all necessary to read the first book to feel comfortable in this terrific romance. Ellen Brittingham works for her family's landscaping business, but her heart is working with children. Adrian Sinclair works in the cutthroat world of cyber security and trying to connect with his son Peter, who has Asperger's Syndrome. This doesn't sound like a match made in heaven, especially when you throw in Adrian's fiance Selena, a walking Barbie doll. Ellen is a down to earth, Harley-riding, T-shirt and jeans kind of gal, not at all Adrian's type. Windsor's character's are wonderful; no stereotypes, great dialogue, well-defined personalities. The story has everything: romance, suspense, faith, and drama. I read a lot of books, and this is the rare book that I actually can I say loved, wholeheartedly.


I'm starting a new book contest this week. I'm giving away two copies of Phil Callaway's Family Squeeze. It's a collection of anecdotes about dealing with both teenagers and aging parents. The stories are sweet and hilarious. If you'd like to enter, drop me an email at clockstein at centurytel.net (replacing @ for at) before midnight on Thursday, March 27th. I'll announce the winners and post my review of this book on Friday. Good luck!

0 comments: