Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Reluctant Smuggler

You know you're from Wisconsin when you see Paczkis (pronounced POTCH kee) in the grocery store just before Lent. Paczkis are a Polish pastry like a Bismarck that's filled with fruit filling. I'm not sure if you can find them all over Wisconsin, but they sure are a Northeastern Wisconsin tradition. Other signs you know you're from Wisconsin.

- You don't flinch at a drop in temperature of 70 degrees in less than 24 hours (40 degrees this morning to the expected 30 below zero tomorrow morning).

- You know that some roads are better in the winter because the potholes are filled in with snow and ice.

- You can pronounce Przbylski, Grignon, and Schuettpelz. (Answers at the end)

- When you're thirsty, you look for a bubbler.

Jesse has made an edict that after Mia turns five she'll no longer be allowed to climb into bed with us in the middle of the night. Considering she climbs in just about every night, this will be a major change. Her birthday is on Thursday, and every day she confirms with me again that Daddy's rule is real. Jesse and I are both looking forward to a full night's sleep without little elbows in our backs and feet flung across our chests.

Reluctant Smuggler by Jill Elizabeth Nelson is the third book in the To Catch a Thief series. You don't need to have read the first two books to dive right into this thrilling mystery. Desiree Jacobs, owner of a security company, is in Mexico trying to establish a new contract when the President of Mexico asks her to investigate the theft of several Mayan artifacts. Desi is torn between fulfilling his wishes and returning home to her fiance Tony Lucano, an FBI agent. But disaster seems to follow Desi no matter where she goes, and then Tony is placed in mortal danger. This fast paced suspense novel was a terrific read. Desi is strong all on her own without needing Tony to rescue her from the danger she regularly encounters. Desi and Tony have a great support system with friends and family (Tony's mom is a real charmer) that flesh out the characters and the story. Desi and Tony both struggle with feeling not good enough to marry the other, but they come to realize that love shouldn't be postponed, and we'll never really be good enough for the one we love. Just like how many Christians wait to come to God because they feel they aren't good enough for him, but God accepts us right where we are. Nelson's book is filled with faith, romance, and intrigue. I can't wait to read the first two books, and I'm hoping there will be more books to come!

I'm giving away a copy of this book this week. If you are interested, just drop me an email at clockstein@centurytel.net before midnight on Thursday. I'll announce the winner on Friday. Good luck!

Pronunciations of the names are" sha BIL skee, GREE no, and SHI pelz. Are you a Wisconsinite?

2 comments:

Tami said...

Nice to find another blogger from Wisconsin who's as sick of the weather here as I am! I'm not from Wisconsin originally, but I've lived here 14 years now and I know what a bubbler is! Do you add "ing" to the end of your words like my husband's (Wisconsin natives) family does? They will ask for a piece of "paper toweling" instead of a paper towel and so on. My family (from Washington state) teases me about my "midwest accept" that I've adopted now. Anyway, I like your blog. Stop by mine sometime too! I was ranting about the weather in mine here: http://creativetree.typepad.com/treeswingreading/2008/01/enough-already.html and here: http://creativetree.typepad.com/treeswingreading/2007/12/i-need-to-vent.html

Here's to an early spring in Wisconsin! We deserve it!
Tami

Christy Lockstein said...

I do add "ing" to stuff, and I didn't even realize it! Paper toweling was on my shopping list this week. :)