Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day

I think most Americans have been waiting for today, if for no other reason than it means the end of the negative ads, constant phone calls, and seas of junk mail that we've been bombarded with for the last several months. This is definitely a hot election; everyone I spoke to today planned to or had already voted. I want to vote for several reasons: I feel that the gay marriage amendment needs to be addressed, I don't believe in the death penalty, and I want to show Michael J. Fox that he has no right to tell me how to vote.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look as though Jesse and I will be able to vote. We're renting from family, so there is no formal rental agreement, and we haven't received a utility bill yet. Without either of those things, the township we live in won't allow us to cast a vote. I get that it's important to ensure that people don't jump from district to district casting more than one vote. It's also important that illegal immigrants don't get to vote. But don't some of the measures being taken seem extreme? I want to vote; I passionately care about the issues in the election, but at this point, I don't have the right to vote.

0 comments: