Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Happy Birthday Doogie!

Today is my son Doug's (known to friends and family as Doogie) 15th birthday. I can't believe how quickly the years have flown by. It was hard enough when he entered high school in September for me, but now he's 15. He'll start driving in the next year. I just can't believe it. He's really becoming a young man that I'm proud to know. He's not afraid to stand up to his friends about what he believes in. He's the only other person in the house who likes watching Law & Order and CSI, so we sit on my bed in the evening watching the gory crime scenes and have deep conversations during the commercials. I'll miss him tonight. As the child of divorced parents, he's adapted well to the frequent moving (they live with their father every other month), but it's harder for me. It's like half the time a part of me isn't here, it's in another city 15 miles away. Mia and I are making him Gooey Chip Bars for when he comes home from school.

As part of his birthday present, I promised him that I would read Eragon this week. He's been trying to get me to read it for months now, but that pile by my bed never seems to get any shorter. But for him, I'll start it tonight, after I finish Dreamers by Angela Hunt and before I get too involved in A New Kind of Christian by Brian McLaren.

I sorted through all of my cookbooks and recipe magazines today, still spring cleaning. How many cookbooks do we really need anyway? So often I just make the same meals over and over again because I know how and I know that my family likes them. Does anyone actually use all their cookbooks?

Well I'm on to laundry. More book reviews tomorrow. Have a wonderful day!

0 comments: