Friday, May 25, 2012

Praying with the Grain

Praying with the Grain by Pablo Martinez is a book to revolutionize your prayer life by helping you analyze your personal style and then encouraging you to pray, without guilt or procrastination. Martinez writes like a professorial uncle, very intelligent yet sympathetic and without judgment. The book opens with a comparison of personalities: introvert vs extrovert and then expands into four categories: thinking/feeling and sensation/intuitive. He breaks down how each psychological function impacts our prayer life, and I was stunned at how accurate his insights were. His breakdown of how a thinking person prays made me wonder if he had been secretly watching me pray, he had every aspect correct, down to the tiniest detail. Once Martinez is done helping readers figure out what category they fall into, he gets into the nitty-gritty of prayer: difficulties in prayer, types of prayer, and the importance of prayer. I was fascinated by Martinez' insights and inspired to change the way I've been praying to better fit my personality (and to please God). The book is truly intelligent and an enjoyable read, and has truly changed my life.

Thank you to Kregel Publications for providing me with a copy of this book for review!

0 comments: