Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Andi's Indian Summer

Andi's Indian Summer (Circle C Beginnings #2)Today is another entry in Mia & Mommy's Book Blog! We are reviewing the sequel to last week's book Andi's Pony Trouble.

Andi's Indian Summer by Susan K. Marlow is the second book in the Circle C Beginnings series about six-year-old Andi's life on a ranch in 1874 California. In this book, Andi and Riley, her eight-year-old friend, take a ride on their horses across the fields and hills to a creek. When some local Indians make an appearance, Andi is terrified because of the dime novel Riley was reading to her about Indian captives. First Mia's review: I liked the book because they had an adventure. My favorite part was when I was reading it, I felt like I was in the book! Andi is a smart but silly little girl who gets scared easily, but she's also brave. It makes her very realistic. Girls will love to read this book because it has horses! I learned that Indians aren't bad like the dime novel made them seem. Here's my review: This was a good book to read with my eight-year-old daughter. We took turns reading the book to each other because the vocabulary was easy for her to read and understand. Andi is very much like a normal six-year-old little girl, and that makes the story really come to life. Marlow includes an important lesson for readers about getting to know people to actually know who they are, rather than relying on stereotypes or rumors. At the beginning of the book is a short vocabulary list giving definitions of possible new words for readers, and at the end is a short note from the author asking readers to consider some of the questions from the book. These two items make the book a useful tool for teaching better comprehension in younger readers. This series has earned a permanent place in my daughter's heart, and for that I have to give it five stars.

Thank you to Kregel Publications for providing me with a copy of this book for review!

0 comments: