Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Growing More Beautiful

Growing More Beautiful an Artful Approach to Personal StyleToday is part three of my discussion of Psalm 119. If you haven't read the previous posts, please first go here, and then here. Psalm 119 is a loving tribute to God's Word. My first post discusses the benefits that come from studying and loving the Bible; the second post lists the reasons why we can trust it.

Today's post is a bit different. Any time that we read in the Bible of promises that come from following God's commandments, it's usually followed up by a warning for those who choose not to obey. Please take a little time to refresh your memory of Psalm 119 by rereading it here. The benefits for those who trust and obey the Lord's Word are wonderful: joy, life, comfort, peace, encouragement, and many more. The warnings should give anyone cause to rethink their position.

  • They will be ashamed Verse 6
  • They sin against God Verse 11
  • They will be rebuked and cursed by God Verse 21
  • They have dull and stupid hearts Verse 70
  • They will be in misery Verse 92
  • They have a false way of life Verse 104
  • They are far from rescue Verse 155
  • They have divided loyalties Verse 113
  • They will be rejected Verse 118
  • They are fooling themselves Verse 118
  • They will be skimmed off like scum Verse 119
  • They lack discernment Verse 125
  • They will be overcome by evil Verse 133
Many of these warnings are in stark contrast to the benefits. Obedience brings joy, disobedience brings misery. Trusting God brings encouragement, not trusting Him brings shame. There is a decision that needs to be made, and while many things in life are in shades of gray, choosing to follow God is a black or white, yes or no issue. Saying yes promises benefits beyond imagination, saying no brings consequences darker than your deepest fears. It's time to take a stand and make that choice. If you haven't yet chosen the Lord, what do you have to lose? Just misery, fear, and rejection! If you make that decision today to ask Jesus into your heart, send me an email. I promise not to bombard you with emails or contacts, but I will send you a Bible to help you begin this new journey with the Lord. 

Growing More Beautiful by Jennifer Robin is a fresh way of looking at style and figuring out how to dress your best. Robin helped revolutionize fashion books with Clothe Your Spirit: Dressing for Self-Expression, and runs her own personal style business, but her love of painting has changed how she views clothing, and she wants to bring her knowledge to readers in desperate need of a makeover. Each chapter opens with a painting by Robin and a short essay about how she came to create it, and that helps to create the mood for the rest of the chapter. Robin isn't so worried about body style as she is readers' personal style. She believes that readers are usually naturally drawn to the colors and styles that best flatter them. She encourages readers to cut out images from magazines to help discern what we like and are drawn to. I can't see me creating the collages she recommends, but I'm sure that more artistic readers will enjoy the hands on projects. She does have a large focus on how vital color is to readers, and while I understand that she feels that determining a person's pallette is too complicated for a book, I wish she would have included a bit of it rather than encourage readers to hire a coloring consultant.  Due to a recent weight loss, I have been reading a lot of books to help figure out what I look best in, and while I know that V-necks and jackets that hit on the top of the hip are good looks for me, I still haven't been able to figure out what clothes are "me." The Spirit Term Exercise at the back may seem a bit trippy, and I was hesitant at first, but when I committed to it, I was able to discover what I really do love in myself and what that means for how I want to dress. It inspired me to tear my closet apart today and only keep what could be described as: clean, feminine, refined, classic, and simple. I know that Robin's writing will help me as I shop in the future, because I've been able to really figure out what I love to wear. Robin's writing is always encouraging, and it's obvious she wants every reader to feel beautiful in everything they wear (even lounging around the house clothes), and that is inspiring to read. This is one of the few books that I truly believe will have a long-lasting impact on my life, because I will never look at my clothing the same way again!

Thank you to the author for providing me with a copy of this book for review!

0 comments: