Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Snowflake

Jesse and I took Mia to the local pumpkin farm today. It's been a long time since we've done something fun together like that as a family. Often my illness keeps me at home, but today I decided to go despite the pain. Life is too short to allow my RA to keep me from time with my family. It was a lot of fun, and the smiles on Mia's face was well worth it, even if I still haven't warmed up!

The Snowflake by Jamie Carie is a short novella perfect for the Christmas season. Ellen Pierce has spent most of her life caring for her brother Jonah, trying to protect him from the world while keeping herself safe from him. His obsession with her has kept them moving often to keep her away from any man who may be attracted to her, but there's nowhere to run from Buck Lewis when they are all on a ship trapped in the ice on the way to Alaska. Buck leads a group through the icy winter snows to Dawson City where he can continue tracking his wife's killers. The journey through the snow will take the lives of more than one of the travelers, but it will bring Buck and Ellen together as the two lonely souls find solace in each other. But Buck's desire for revenge pulls him away from her, leaving Ellen to make her own way in a strange town. Will he return in time to fulfill his promise to come back to her for Christmas? Carie is a talented writer of historical romances and while this plot may seem at first glance a bit of fluff, there is great depth in Ellen's guilt over Jonah, the demons that haunt him, and Kate's history. I hope that Carie gives Kate and Lucky a book of their own. This quick read is perfect for the busy holiday season and with a message of God's love for everyone, even lonely exiles.

Thank you to B&H Fiction for providing me with a copy of this book for review!

0 comments: