Friday, July 16, 2010

A Shore Thing

I've come across some great stuff in my Bible reading that I'm working into an essay for here, but today I'm having such a massive flare-up of pain that I'm not up to doing anything except my review. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

A Shore Thing by Julie Carobini is an Otter Bay novel following up to Sweet Waters. Callie Duflay has earned a reputation as always fighting for some cause or another. Her family is frustrated by her refusal to settle down and live a normal life instead of working as assistant camp director at a local Christian camp. When she discovers that a section of beautiful shore land is going to be developed into condominiums, she starts a protest group to stop the destruction to the beautiful natural area, but she finds that she may have jumped the gun when she talks to the owner and finds out the truth behind the property's sale. Throw in handsome Gage Mitchell, the architect for the project who creates sparks with Callie every time they meet, and you have a recipe for star-crossed romance. Gage is a likable hero with strong faith and the desire to build green buildings, but he seems to throw back his head and laugh a lot. Callie's desire to do right leads her into plenty of trouble, but she has to learn to accept that God's will may not be what she wants. Gage and Callie are a natural couple, but at times the story seemed a bit stilted, with a bit too much of heads being thrown back in laughter. It's still a sweet romantic read perfect for the beach.

Thank you to B&H Publishing for proving me with a copy of this book for review.

I took today's picture at a rummage sale at an old schoolhouse near our home. The little cartoon on the bottom reads: If everything seems to be coming at you, maybe you're in the wrong lane. I asked the owner about the bones, and he thought they were turkey bones so he bought this at an auction. These are way too big to be turkey bones!! It's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen, so I had to share.

0 comments: