Thursday, July 08, 2010

Once in a Blue Moon

I had a fantastic holiday weekend, I hope you did too! We had a cookout here on Saturday, one at my mom's on Sunday, and for Molly's birthday she and I went to Eclipse and then did some shopping. I was so grateful to God for providing me with the strength to get through all of it. I did miss church and the parade on Sunday because of the pain, but otherwise God held me up. It all collapsed on Tuesday however, and it's only been getting worse because of the humidity. The dampness in the air sets in my joints making just waking up in the morning a miserable experience. I've learned over the course of my illness to take each day as it comes. I'm grateful when I can do more, and when I can't, I don't beat myself up anymore. When I struggled with guilt and frustration, I took it out on my family and myself, making the situation worse. I'm grateful to God for the wisdom he's granted me in the midst of the pain. Even on the worst of days, I still find things to thank him for in my prayer journal. I am content.

Once in a Blue Moon by Leanna Ellis isn't quite sure if it's a conspiracy thriller, contemporary romance, or family drama. Brynda Seymour's mother died forty years ago as Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon. She was raised by her Nana, but has spent the time since living life on the edge, engaging in risky behavior and always falling for the wrong guy. When she's contacted by Howard Walters who claims that her mother's death is part of a conspiracy from NASA, she's pulled into his paranoid world where she meets his son Sam, a former preacher. Sam and Brynda have immediate chemistry, but can she fall for a guy who believes in the Lord who allowed her mother to leave her orphaned at nine years old? Ellis is very skilled at creating fully fleshed characters and writes with a terrific sense of humor. Her books always have a light touch, guaranteed to make readers smile. While the books struggles to settle into a genre, it's still an enjoyable story. The truth about Brynda's mother is rather shocking, but Ellis handles it with grace and there's an excellent message of acceptance and learning to let go.

Thank you to B&H Publishing for providing me with a copy of this book for review.

1 comments:

Leanna Ellis said...

Thanks, Christy, for reviewing my book, Once in a Blue Moon! Glad you liked it.

Blessings,

Leanna