Thursday, June 17, 2010

Out of the Spin Cycle

Some days I feel like the worst mom in the world, other days I feel like I've figured it out. Most days I'm just trying to make it until 11 pm when they are all in bed and asleep, but every day I know that I have the best job in the entire world. Today was a generous blend of all three.

Shortly after I woke up, I heard music playing in my bedroom. I muted the television and tried to track the source, but then it stopped. When I couldn't hear it anymore, I started to think that I was losing my mind. A few minutes later, it started again.I muted the TV again and tore apart my nightstand drawer (I had been searching for something in it earlier so considered that I could have bumped something and started the music). After that fruitless search, I called for Mia and prayed that she could actually hear it, and that I wasn't completely crazy. She came in and immediately pointed to my purse as the source. I have four zippers on my purse, so it was pure luck that I opened the correct one on the first try and discovered Doogie's old cellphone playing an alarm. He bought a new one yesterday, but this one still has a memory card in it, so I threw it in there so it wouldn't get lost. Instead I nearly lost my mind! LOL It's not fair for the kids to booby trap my stuff when they aren't around.

Just after noon, I brought Mia to soccer and ran my errands. After class, I picked up both Mia and her friend Gabby and brought them to the beach where they swam for nearly two hours (both liberally covered with sunscreen) while I read a book in my lawn chair. When it was time to go, I bought them both ice cream treats, and realized that at least for a few hours, I had gotten the mothering thing right. That lasted until we got home and Mia had a meltdown (from exhaustion) about being hungry and having to wait for supper. After a brief time out (on both sides), she's contentedly watching Soccer Dog in the living room, waiting for me to get done blogging so I can make her supper and turn over the laptop for her to play JumpStart. I'm looking forward to settling in with a good mystery in my air conditioned bedroom tonight. Even with all of the bumps and bruises, it was a good day because I have been blessed to be a mother.

Out of the Spin Cycle by Jen Hatmaker is a espresso shot of encouragement for Christian moms trying to get it all right. Hatmaker has kept each chapter short, no more than two or three pages, so even the busiest mom can squeeze in reading a chapter a day. The chapters are filled with humorous anecdotes about her own children (Gavin sounds like a hoot!) as well as hilarious and heartwarming stories of motherhood from others. Each one encourages readers to let go of trying to be perfect and to trust God for the strength to get through each day. Sitting down to read this book each night felt like sitting down for a cup of coffee with a good friend who is glad to listen to your tales of woe and then offer the perfect advice to soothe your worried soul. She reminds us that no one is going to get everything exactly right, but we need to focus on the important things: teaching our children about Jesus and to love our neighbors. The book is a perfect gift for a mom-to-be or a mom with lots of experience. Both will find encouragement and a good laugh from a terrific author who has been there.

Thank you to Revell Books for providing me with a copy of this book for review. It's available in June 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing.

Today's picture is Mia at my mom's with Scottie, my favorite kitten.

0 comments: