Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Influenza Bomb

Molly presented Jesse with the most amazing Father's Day present yesterday. She read him a letter and gave him a little gift to go with each line. I asked her and Jesse's permission to post it here for you.

Dear Jesse: As you know, this Father's Day I was a little broke, so I decided to pay you back for what I've gotten from you as I've been growing up. For all my tears you've dried, here's some tissues. For all my boo-boos you've kissed, here's bandaids. For all the meals you've prepared, here's some cookies (I decided to do store-bought so I wouldn't kill you with my cooking). Well...for all the money I've borrowed, here's what I can spare (she gave him a few coins). And for all of the headaches I've caused, here's ibuprofen. So I know it's hasn't always been a ball (she handed him a rubber ball), and I drive you absolutely nuts (she gave him a magnet in the shape of a nut), but I just wanted you to know, you light up my life (she gave him a necklace of mini-Christmas tree lights). I'm glad you're my dad. Happy Father's Day, I love you! XO Molly

Then they both teased me because I was the one crying! Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there, especially mine. Dad, I love you so much. You are the best, and I'll see you tomorrow. Jeff, I couldn't have asked for a better step-dad. Thanks for taking such good care of my mom and brother!

The Influenza Bomb by Paul McCusker & Walt Larimore is the second book in the TSI (Time Scene Investigators) series. When an outbreak of influenza hits Siberia, with an incredibly high transmission and fatality rate, Dr. Susan Hutchinson from WHO (World Health Organization) is called in to investigate. Once on the scene she realizes that the symptoms are the same as in the 1918 Spanish Flu crisis, and she calls in TSI to help find a cure. The team soon discovers that the eco-terrorist group Return to Earth plans to use the illness to wipe humanity off the face of the earth, so groups are sent to Siberia, London, and Germany in hopes of tracking down information from the 1918 epidemic, WWII when it popped up again as a weapon of the Nazis and put the pieces together in order to save the world. There are a lot of characters and different storylines in this novel, but the authors juggle them handily, keeping the tension high. There are also a couple of romances brewing between different team members. The authors do a great job of creating drama not only with the illness and romance, but also with the posturing and territorialism of all the different agencies working on the case. The details of the illness are terrifyingly plausible, and I will never look at bubble wrap the same way. It's a thrilling ride that keeps the pages flying as the action escalates.

Thank you to Glass Road Publicity for providing me with a copy of this book for review!

Mia made her dad a crown for Father's Day, so he made one for his princess as well.

0 comments: