Monday, May 03, 2010

Linda S. Clare

I am thrilled to introduce you to Linda S. Clare, author of The Fence My Father Built, a book I truly love. She wants to say something to readers about truly "getting" a book, and she has a special offer for you! Here's a link to my original review of the book.


Bridge of Understanding
Linda S. Clare

I write for God, but whether it’s a novel or an article, I’m always trying to build a bridge of understanding from me to you. To me, that bridge is precious, even sacred.

Last fall, when Christy Lockstein wrote a review of my debut novel The Fence My Father Built, I was amazed. She didn’t trot out worn-out phrases. Instead, her review told me that she understood my novel on a deep level. That understanding meant far more than kind words or a nice promotion for the book. I felt as if at least one reader and I had made a lasting connection.

We’ve all read novels that are a “fast read,” funny, sad or even frustrating. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe you’ve given those books three or four stars. They’re enjoyable and worth your time. You’d recommend them to your friends.

But you’ve probably also read books that have remained with you long after you finished them. If called upon to describe, you might say things such as haunting, thought-provoking or heart-felt. These are the stories that have stayed with you like a lingering perfume—you’ve understood theme, metaphor and characters on the deepest level. To state it simply, you “get it.” Such novels stick with you in a profound way; make you see things a little differently. Maybe you’ve dared to hand the very best ones a five star rating.

I believe that readers who make those connections deserve a five star rating too. When I manage to connect on a deep level with you, gentle reader, it’s the highest compliment I could ask for. Thank you for meeting me on that bridge.

I’d love to connect with you! This week only, May 2-9, Abingdon Press is offering a free Kindle Download of The Fence My Father Built. Just head to Amazon.com, pull up The Fence My Father Built, and get your free book. If you don’t have a Kindle, there’s a free app for PC. If you’ve already read my novel, download it for a friend or loved one. I’m happy to speak to book clubs in person or via phone or internet. Download your free copy today! 

Christy back again! Linda has been generous enough to also donate a hard copy of the book to give away to my readers this week! Just leave a comment here or send me an email before 10 pm on Thursday, May 6th. I'll announce the winner here on Friday, May 7th. Good luck!

0 comments: