Monday, February 08, 2010

Dreams That Won't Let Go


My husband allowed me to engage in a bit of shoe lust last week. I do love shoes, but I buy most of mine from the thrift store or clearance sales, like I do the rest of my clothing. And I'm proud of my ability to shop that way, but I have had a desire for a certain pair of Skechers for a couple of years. As soon as I saw them, I wanted them. They gave off just the right vibe of cool mom + comfy that I strive for in my wardrobe. But Skechers are expensive, even when they go on sale!

I found them on clearance last week (for still almost $30!) at a store, but I ran it by Jesse first and debated for an entire week before giving in. On Thursday, and they were still there AND still in my size, so I snatched them up. I even bought new socks just for my new Skechers. I wore them on Saturday on Molly and my shopping trip for her prom dress, and they were just as comfortable as I hoped they would be. These are definitely my favorite new shoes!

Dreams That Won't Let Go by Stacy Hawkins Adams is the third book in her powerful Jubilant Soul series about the Burns family of Jubilant, Texas. Indigo Burns is counting down the last few weeks before her wedding to soulmate Max when her brother Reuben announces his return from living out of state. Their parents become so focused on his homecoming after ten years away that Indigo can't help but feel resentful of the attention, and when youngest sister Yasmin disappears it's apparent that she's been wounded by it as well. I really enjoy Adams' books, because they are populated by real people with real problems. Reuben, Indigo, and Yasmin are all still struggling with the death of their real parents almost twenty years ago and it impacts every aspect of their lives. The author focuses in on how secrets and hidden hurts can create distance within a family. God wants us to be open and honest with each other about our pain, especially within the family unit where we can best deal with it, and Adams illustrates that point beautifully here. Another thing I love about this series is that each volume skips a few years into the future giving the reader the opportunity to see characters learn from their mistakes and truly grow from them. I look forward to seeing what will happen next with Yasmin.

Thank you to Revell books for providing me with a copy of this book for review. Available January 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

0 comments: