Saturday, January 09, 2010

Celtic Treasure

Today is one of those days that demonstrates the impact my rheumatoid arthritis has on my entire family. The pain was severe yesterday, but when I woke up this morning, I couldn't put weight on my left hip. All of my joints ache, so I'm taking it easy in bed. Which means that I am missing Molly first cheer competition of the year. She's performing probably as I type, and I've been praying for her all day, but that doesn't make up for my presence in the stands watching and cheering for my girl.

Molly's squad has been practicing for months, and after last year's devastating loss at State, all of the girls have their hearts on the line. I wanted to be there for Molly to cheer and pat her on the back for their hard work and accomplishment, and to be there with a hug in case they don't do as well as we all hope.

Molly's a hard worker, and I am so proud of her. I don't tell her this nearly as often as I should, so I'm making a public declaration of it today.

Celtic Treasure by Liz Babbs is a study of the history of Christianity in Ireland along with stunning photographs of the region. Babbs discusses the faith of the Celts including their focus on finding God in nature, their belief in monasticism and their hospitality. Each short chapter uses Scripture, quotes from Irish saints, along with poetry by the author to emphasize the point, bringing it home to readers. This charming book is perfect for readers interested in the faith of this beautiful country.

Thank you to Kregel Publications for providing me with a copy of this book for review.

0 comments: