Saturday, November 14, 2009

God Has Never Failed Me, But He's Sure Scared Me to Death a Few Times


A conversation with Mia this morning:
Me: So what color coat do you want? There's turquoise, pink, or purple.
Mia: Pink.
Me: I thought you had changed your favorite color to blue.
Mia: I did, but you didn't say blue.
Me: Turquoise is a shade of blue.
Mia: Oh, then I want a turquoise coat.
Pause...
Mia: I changed my mind, I want a different color coat.
Me: Ok...
Mia: You have to guess.
Me: Pink.
Mia: No.
Me: Purple.
Mia: No.
Me (thoroughly confused): Turquoise?
Mia: No.
Me: But Mia, there are only three colors for the coats.
Mia: No, there aren't you missed two more colors.
Me: But, honey, they only offered the coat in three colors: turquoise, purple, and pink.
Mia: You didn't guess blue, and since turquoise is a shade of blue, I want a blue coat.
Me: Are you trying to make me crazy?
Mia: Yes, just a little. *giggle*

As soon as I finished typing the previous conversation, we had this one about her coloring a picture to include in her letter to Santa.
Mia: How do you like my Christmas picture?
Me: It's very pretty. Are you going to make the ornaments on the tree different colors?
Mia: No, just one color, guess which one.
Me (seeing the crayon in her hand): Red.
Mia: How did you know?
Me: I saw it in your hand.
Mia: Cheater! You cheated. Fine I'm switching to a different color. Guess which one.
Me: Blue.
Mia: No.
Me: Yellow.
Mia: No.
Me: Orange
Mia: No.
Me: Red?
Mia: Yep, I just wanted you to guess without cheating this time.

This is why I'm going gray!!

God Has Never Failed Me, But He's Sure Scared Me to Death a Few Times
by Stan Toler is a humorous yet powerful look at clinging to faith in the midst of adversity. Toler, who won me over with The Buzzards are Circling But God's Not Finished With Me Yet, is like the perfect pastor. He starts each chapter with a humorous anecdote and then uses that to bring the reader to understand his point. Then when attention may drift, he uses a powerful personal story to bring it home. Every chapter focuses on trusting in God's faithfulness even when it seems like nothing is going right. God is 100% faithful 100% of the time. Toler keeps the tone light, but he never lets the humor get in the way of his message of hope for readers.

Thank you to the B&B Media Group for providing me with a copy of this book!

0 comments: