Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Swiss Courier


Today's video is the cheerleading routine from Parents' Night at the football game on Thursday night. Molly's at the far left at the beginning of the video, and then it's hard to track her, but I'm so proud of what a great job she and the rest of the squad did!

I have to share an argument that Mia had with the radio the other day. We were driving into town for the football game in the early hours of the evening. I hate listening to ads on the radio, so I tend to channel surf a lot looking for a good song. While flipping, I came to I Can See Clearly Now, so I left it on and then tried not to laugh too loudly while Mia answered every lyric.

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
Mia: It's not raining!
I can see all obstacles in my way
What?
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
The clouds are still here, Mommy, they are completely covering the sky.
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.
They are really confused.

I think I can make it now, the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is the rainbow I've been prayin for
What rainbow? There's no rainbow here!
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.
They should have sung this song this morning instead.

Look all around, there's nothin but blue skies
They AREN'T blue!!
Look straight ahead, nothin but blue skies
They are gray, not blue!!

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
It's still not raining.
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
Oh, I get it. They must have been talking about tomorrow morning.
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.
Cool.

The Swiss Courier by Tricia Goyer & Mike Yorkey is a fast-paced suspense novel of World War II. Gabi Mueller, a Swiss-American living in Switzerland, has been working for the OSS in helping to translate messages from the Germans when she is recruited to use her special abilities at safecracking. She's quickly pulled into a dangerous world of secret identities and risky escapes when she's asked to help rescue Joseph Engel, a German physicist who holds the secret to the Nazi atomic bomb before the Gestapo finds and executes him. The authors make the taut atmosphere of spies come to life where every word may have a double meaning, and you can truly trust no one. I was thrilled with how they avoided all cliched pitfalls of suspense novels making it fresh and enjoyable. There is literally no time to breathe as the rescuers race from sabotage, gunfire, and betrayal; I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I hope that these authors pair up again soon!

The winner of this book is Amber Lardinois! Congrats to her! My next contest will be starting Nov. 9th!

0 comments: