Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Worth a Thousand Words


I love to see how people use their gifts or the things that they love to serve the Lord or help out other people. I've come across a few examples of this in the last week, and I wanted to share them with you! First up is this video from Tim Hawkins who made me laugh hysterically. I'm going to order his DVD from the library, because I can't wait to hear more of his humor.

Next up is The Uniform Project. This young woman has decided to wear the same dress every day for a year (she has seven identical dresses) to raise awareness about renewable fashion and raise money for the Akshanka Foundation which provides education for children in India. Now this woman is beautiful and has an amazing sense of fashion, so she can pull this off! Every day she uses different accessories to give it a unique look. You can view the different looks by month. I love how she's using something she loves: fashion to raise money for something she's passionate about: education.

I heard about Cory Hanna on the news this weekend. After losing his wife to suicide, he decided to raise awareness about the issue and money to educate others. On July 18, he performed 100 skydives in 24 hours to raise money in what he called 100 Jumps for Life. He did each of them from about 2000 feet and had to jump every six minutes to complete the mission. He's taken tragedy and turned it into a blessing for others. I love stories like this!

Worth a Thousand Words by Stacy Hawkins Adams is the second book in the Jubilant Soul series. This novel follows one summer in the life of Indigo Burns' (her elder sister Rachelle was featured in the first book) as gets ready for grad school to earn a Master's degree in photography and gets engaged to her longtime boyfriend, Brian. Her life is turned upside down by a health issue, an aunt's stroke, and pressure from her fiance to get married immediately despite her doubts. Indigo is a terrific character who readers will relate to as she tries to juggle romance with her dreams for the future. Her family is going through several crises that put her faith to the test as well. Adams bravely goes somewhere that most Christian fiction novels are afraid to go, and the way she addresses the issue may anger some readers. I think she handles it with tact and compassion which should be a model for Christians everywhere. I can't wait for the next book in the series!

Tomorrow I'll be starting a book contest, so I hope you'll stop back then to sign up!

0 comments: