Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Ministry of Motherhood


Today was the spring concert at the high school. It's bittersweet to me, because it's Doogie's last concert. I'm so glad Molly is still in choir, so I'll have two more years to enjoy this. The theme for the songs was movies, so we heard a lot of Disney songs, along with a few other gems. Doogie had a solo in the song Arabian Nights from the movie Aladdin. Molly's solo was The Circle of Life from The Lion King. Definitely one of those days where my heart could burst out of my chest from pride.


My RA has been miserable this weekend, and I took it easy all day yesterday reserving my strength for today. When I woke up this morning, it was iffy for me to make the concert from the pain, and church was definitely out. Thank God for giving me a wonderful Bible reading last night that truly touched my heart. I spent a lot of time praising Him then, and I know that He knows my limitations and doesn't love me any less for missing church on occasion, even if it does still make me feel a twinge of guilt.

The Ministry of Motherhood by Cheryl Lacey Donovan is a guide for mothers, especially single mothers from a woman with a powerful testimony. Donovan, a pastor's daughter, became a mother at the age of sixteen. Facing the guilt of letting her parents down, but still caught up in lust with her son's father, she married him and quickly came to regret it as he abused her physically and emotionally. Throughout those tumultuous years, Donovan looked to her parents who offered her unconditional love and support, modeling God's love to her, as well as what it means to be a good mother. She has taken those lessons and distilled them into this short, informative book. There are three distinct sections to the book's success. In the first, Donovan relates a portion of her life's story with great detail and emotion. The second portion gives Scriptural verses and stories about what she was facing and how readers facing similar troubles can take her experience and learn from it. After each of those chapters is a prayer written to specifically address that issue: single parenthood, defeating lust, overcoming guilt, etc. While the book suffers from a few grammatical and spacing errors, Donovan's writing is strong and vibrant. Her message to mothers is that we are the Bibles that our children read throughout their lives, and it is up to us to ensure that what they read is truly of God.

Less than 40 viewers away from 15,000 hits! I'm looking for viewer #15,000, and if it's you, you'll win two books and a coupon for a free bottle of Country Bob's Sauce! Scroll down to the counter on the right side and check the number, if it's 15,000, drop me an email!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow....you can be proud of your kids!
Marilyn