Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Turning the Paige


I have nothing but good news today! First of all to explain the picture, I went to see Howard today. He looked fantastic! He's still not 100%, but considering the condition he was in the last time I saw him about a month ago, he looks wonderful. I've been feeling guilty for not going to see him in all that time, but I think that when I was going every day and spending all day there, I become so emotionally exhausted, I just couldn't bear it anymore. And I desperately didn't want to go back and see him that way again. But after my doctor's appointment this morning (more on that later), I stopped by the rehab center where he is staying. He immediately called to me and recognized me. He finished up his physical therapy while I was there. While he is having some trouble with his left knee, he's working hard to get back his mobility. Tomorrow they are removing his trach, and he is hoping to be discharged on Monday. We talked, well actually he talked for almost two hours. It was a great visit, and I still haven't stopped smiling.

We reminisced a bit, and I told him about one of my favorite memories of him when I was a kid. My cousin Kelly and I were walking down the road from our grandma's house (where Howard lived). We were almost to the corner when Howard turned down it driving a 1970 Ford Maverick. It was white with orange and red flames painted along the sides. It was the coolest car I'd ever seen in my life. He slowed down to wave at us, and then squealed the tires to make us laugh. We turned around and ran as fast we could back to Grandma's to see his new car. Howard loves cars and can tell you every car he ever owned, how much he paid for it, and what happened in it and to it. I'm so glad that he is back to himself. He wasn't the only one to get a miracle with his return to health; I got my uncle back.

In more good news, almost a month ago, the doctor put me on a new medication. It took three weeks to kick in, but WOW! can I feel the difference. Last weekend, I helped Molly get the girls' room cleaned (which is a miracle in itself), I've been cooking every night, and laundry is completely caught up. I'm feeling a lot better physically, and that translates to feeling better mentally as well. It feels so amazing to be able to take care of my family again! I don't have to go back to the doctor for two months, and if I have trouble with pain, he will up my dosage a bit. I've had a bit more pain the last couple of days with the cold, wet weather, but as it dries up and warms up, I'll start to feel better again!

Turning the Paige by Laura Jensen Walker is the second book in the Getaway Girls series. I didn't read the first book, and neither do you to get caught right up in the plot. Paige Kelley feels like she's accomplished nothing in her life: a failed marriage, a non-career in a call center, no children, and most of her time is spent answering her mother's every beck and call. Her only solace is in her book club with a group of friends who also try to live out an adventure from each book they read. Paige is a character that many women can relate to, she's going nowhere fast and feeling like life is passing her by. This is much more than just your standard chick lit. I was reading it one morning and planning on taking a nap, but Walker dropped in a plot twist I didn't expect, and I couldn't put the book down until I finished it! I never did get my nap! Paige learns a lot about herself, her mother, and her sister by the end of the book, and she learns to step out in faith. I can't wait to see who Walker will cover from the book club in the next book.

Here's a few more titles I'm giving away in my HUGE book contest this week. Yesterday's Embers, See You in the Funny Papers, Man of the House, and Don't Let Me Go. Drop me an email to get in!

0 comments: