Monday, March 02, 2009

Dinner with a Perfect Stranger & Day with a Perfect Stranger


It was a rough weekend. The doctor changed my pain medication, and I can't believe the amount of pain I've been in. As soon as it wears off, I'm awake and writhing in pain. He did start me on a new medication on Friday; I'm praying that it will kick in soon and have a major effect.

Dinner with a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory is an intriguing concept. Nick Cominsky receives an unusual invitation: You are invited to dinner with Jesus of Nazareth. Not a believer, Nick is tempted to disregard it as a joke, but something makes him show up just to see what the punchline is. But it's not a joke, and Jesus has something amazing to say to Nick. This book is great for making a current believer feel like they have made the correct choice in their faith, because it backs it up with all sorts of evidence. It's kind of like reading Lee Strobel's Case for Faith and Case for Christ in extreme abbreviated format. I am a believer, and this book is perfect for coming up with arguments for people who take a stand in opposition to mine, but I don't know if it would make THEM believe any differently. There were a couple of points in the book that I was unfamiliar with and was glad to read: that if God is in me, he will love my spouse even when I am unable to, that the Trinity is truly beyond my understanding so it's ok if I don't get it. There is definite value in this book for believers, but I'm afraid for non-believers this would fall of deaf ears. Maybe not, the Lord has the power to do amazing things.

A Day with a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory is the sequel to Dinner with a Perfect Stranger. It picks up shortly after the previous book. Nick has joined a Bible study and is changing his life around his newfound belief in Jesus. His wife Mattie is so uncomfortable with the changes that she's considering divorce. While contemplating this separation, she gets on a flight to Dallas and ends up discussing religion with the man in the seat next to her. No one who's read the first book or even the back of this one will be surprised at the identity of Mattie's seat partner. What is surprising is how he answers her questions about religion, a personal relationship with God, and why God allows evil in the world. While this book isn't quite as engaging as the first, it was an enjoyable read. Gregory keeps to the point and keeps it short, much like Jesus did in his teachings. This slim 100 page book will create some interesting discussions among believers and non-believers alike.

I'm giving away a set of these two books, and you could win! Just drop me an email before 1o pm Tuesday, March 3rd to be entered. I'll announce the winner here on Wednesday. Good luck!

0 comments: