Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Outlaw Marshal


Yesterday I received a text message from Molly letting me know that her UTI was back. She's had one on and off for the last two years, and while she was supposed to be on antibiotics, but she forgot the bottle at her dad's so she hadn't had a pill in over a week. She said that the pain was the worst she's ever had and wanted me to call the doctor. Now Molly and I have done this routine countless times in the last two years. We know the symptoms of a UTI; in fact, the last time, the doctor didn't even make her come in for the test, he just called in the medicine to the pharmacy. I called her doctor and received a call back from the nurse. I explained the situation to her and asked if I could bring Molly in for an appointment the next day (today). She really wanted me to bring Molly in right away, and I explained that Molly had cheerleading practice, and she doesn't like to miss it...ever. The nurse said, "Your daughter is having pain of an 8 out of 10, and yet she wants to go to cheerleading practice?" I confirmed it, and she replied with, "You know, I think it's time to be a parent here. You need to bring her in right away. She could have kidney stones." I was beyond angry. I'm in the midst of an RA flare-up and can't even completely straighten my arms they hurt so bad. I barely shuffled from the bed to the bathroom all day. But the nurse made me feel like the worst parent in the world, despite the fact that Molly knows her own body. Last week when she was exhausted, she stayed home from school to rest. She pushes herself hard, but knows her limits.

I threw on some real clothes (not sweats) and raced into the Falls to pick her up from school. I told Doogie to pick Mia up from the bus stop, and we flew to Green Bay. Molly was less than thrilled with me. We got to the hospital by 4 pm. A nurse practitioner came in, had Molly pee in a cup, and then wrote out a prescription for more antibiotics. I asked her about kidney stones and why I had to rush down like it was a life or death thing. She explained that Molly didn't have any symptoms of kidney stones, nor did she have a family history of them, so it wasn't a concern at this time. Are you kidding me? Molly and I were both in tears when we left. She was upset because her coach and teammates were mad at her missing the beginning of practice (I dropped her off on the way home) and because she's sick of being sick. I was in tears because a nurse insinuated I was an awful mom, and I let that manipulate me into racing to the doctor.


Why on earth do nurses (and sometimes) doctors feel the need to make parents feel like idiots? I am doing the best that I can, and honestly, I'm the only one who really knows what's going on with my daughter
and I'm the one who wants the best for her! I just don't get it.

I haven't had a chance to finish reading this book yet, but I wanted to share some info about it.

Outlaw Marshal
by Al & Joanna Lacy: A good deed grants outlaw Whipley Langford early release from prison and a friendship with Chief U.S. Marshal John Brockman. Another good deed gets Whip framed for murder and looking at life through a hangman’s noose. John arrives just in time to reveal the true murderers and lead Whip to Christ.

A new man and a fast draw, Whip becomes Brockman’s deputy. Life is still fast and dangerous, and there’s a pretty lady Whip would like to get to know better too. Before he admits his love, Whip is shot in a bank robbery. Survival looks slim until he awakens to hear his lady confess her love. Weeks later, they are married.

Readers who are familiar with the Journeys of the Stranger and Angel of Mercy series reunite with well-loved characters John and Breanna Brockman. Western history buffs will enjoy a wholesome, fast-paced story where the Gospel is presented clearly. Christian readers will learn how to lean on the Lord in times of trial and non-Christians will have the opportunity to make Christ their Savior.

I'm giving away two copies of this book this week. If you are interested in a copy, drop me an email before 10 pm Thursday, Feb. 19th. I'll announce the winners here on Friday.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't let some crabby old bag make you feel bad! Your kids are awesome--mature, funny, and very self aware. Obviously you've done something right...I'd call her boss. Not cool.

Hope you feel better soon!