Tuesday, October 07, 2008

For Young Men Only

Warning: whining about to commence! The last few days have been rough with my rheumatoid arthritis. I really overdid it on Friday for Homecoming, and spent all weekend in bed. Sunday I was so frustrated I kind of took it out on the whole family. I really enjoy going to church, and I love the Bible study we're doing Sunday mornings. That evening, the pastor and his wife were having a worship night at their house, and I couldn't wait to go. Except that I still could barely walk. I was depressed and angry. The pain in this cold, rainy weather is so debilitating, it wakes me up in the early morning hours, and no matter how hard I try, I can't get back to sleep. It seeps into every part of my life, tainting how good food tastes, my enjoyment of my children, my relationship with my husband. You've heard of rose-colored glasses? Some days I wear pain-colored glasses. They effect everything. I feel so guilty not able to do the things I feel like I should be doing, like I let everyone down. My Sunday School teacher, my pastor, my husband, my children, my mother, my boss, my friends...God. No one expects much of me anymore, and I still can't seem to manage that. Last night in my reading for the Sunday morning Bible study (we're doing Nancy Leigh DeMoss' Lies Women Believe), I came across the lie: I don't have enough time to do everything that I'm supposed to do. Reading it, I thought Well, that's obviously a lie that doesn't apply to me. I have plenty of time to get things done, I'm just physically unable to do so. But as I kept reading, I found DeMoss' counter to that lie: There is time in every day to do every thing that God wants me to. And that brought me a great deal of comfort, because it says that God has an agenda for me that is different than my own. While I'm sure He wants me to go to church and Bible studies, I know too that He sees me weep when I can't. So I need to be asking Him what exactly He expects from me each day. Those are the things that I need to worry about. The truth of this hasn't sunken all the way into my soul yet. I'm still battling guilt over the heaps of laundry that need to be done, but it's a truth that I will remind myself of daily in hopes that while I can't do anything about the pain, I can do something about how I react to it. End of whining!


For Young Men Only by Jeff Feldhahn & Eric Rice is a indispensable tool for guys who want to know how girls think. The authors did several surveys and studies of teenage girls to understand why they act the way they do. Why do they go from everything's hunky dory one day to don't let the door kick you on your way out the next? Why do they fall for bad boys? How do they really feel about sex? There are some surprising answers that are bound to help teenage guys in their relationships with girls. The book is never preachy, just funny as even the authors learn things about women that they didn't know. It's a short book, so getting guys to read it shouldn't be hard, and it speaks in down-to-earth language without being condescending. An excellent book in a stellar series.

I'm giving away two copies of this book, so if you'd like to win a copy, send me an email before 10 pm on Thursday, October 9th. Good luck!

15 comments:

M. C. Pearson said...

Dear Lord,

Please be with Jacob. He hurts, Lord. Comfort him. Bring him godly friends. Surround him with Your angels and protect him from others and his own suicidal thoughts. I pray a hedge of protection around Jacob right now, Lord. Strengthen him and the family. Give them wisdom on what to do next. Heal his self-esteem. Show him a better way. We love and trust You Lord...please help Jacob.

In Christ's name I pray,

Amen

CherryBlossomMJ said...

praying for your whole family.

- sister in Christ

Pam said...

Just wanted to let you know that I have read your email about your brother and am praying for him and for your family.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Christy,

I just wanted to let you know that prayers are ascending for your brother. As a counselor, the email about your brother broke my heart so know that he is at the top of my prayer list and God is going to do something mighty for him...I am believing that.

Prayers ascending for you also....I hope you start feeling better very soon (and not so gulity about the laundry :o)

Blessings to you.

Christy

KeepItSimple said...

Hi Christy...

Just a note to let you know that I am praying for you and your family.

Blessings -
Camille
Fellow FIRST Member

Megan DiMaria said...

Praying for Jacob!

A prisoner of hope,
Megan DiMaria

Unknown said...

Our prayers are with you and your brother! Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

My comment isn't related to this post. I got the e-mail from Mimi on FIRST and wanted to let you know that I am praying!

Rachelle
landofmysojourn. net/ blog

Wyn said...

Hi Christy, I didn't see a space for just comments to you so am using this spot. Hope you don't mind. I just received your prayer request on FIRST and thought I'd let you know that I have prayed for and am adding your brother's name to my prayer list. I am sorry that your arthritis is acting up and causing frustration. The change of seasons can be very hard on us. Praying that your pain eases up quickly.

Kim said...

Christy,
I will be remembering your brother and your entire family as you seek the help he needs to get through this very difficult time. Please know that I care.

Your F.I.R.S.T. family friend,
Kim
WINDOW TO MY WORLD

Andi said...

Abba Father,
Our hearts are heavy with our sister's burden. You know how Jacob hurts. Please comfort him, and give him peace that only you can give him. Wrap your loving arms around Jacob, his mother, and Christy. Give them wisdom and strength to handle this situation. Only you can calm the storm that's within Jacob and I bind it in Jesus' name! May they feel your loving presence Father.
In your holy name! Amen

Anonymous said...

Hi Christ,

I'm praying for your brother and your mother, what a difficult time for him. I understand the pain of ostracism that can occur in the junior high years. Is there a possibility that your mother could remove him from school to do correspondence learning? That is what my mother did for me when I found myself in a similar situation in junior high.

Mimi N said...

Christy, praying for your brother Jacob. I wanted to let you know about an author named Jonathan Friesen. He has tourettes and wrote a book called Jerk California about a 15 yr old boy with tourettes. I'm going to email him and let him know about your brother, too. Jonathan is part of ACFW. Keeping you in our prayers!

Blessings in Christ,
Mimi B (different than M.C.)

Audra Krell said...

Hi Christy,
I just opened my yahoo account and have 52 emails, but opened only one, the prayer request for your sweet baby brother. God knows that I needed to read this and he knows what Jacob needs and he is right with him. God has wonderful plans for Jacob and my prayer is that you and your family will be witness to everything glorious in store.
On a separate note, I'd love to win the book. For women only changed my marriage which changed my life. I have three teen and tween boys and I'd love for them to be able to read this book. Thanks for hosting the giveaway! Blessings to you.
Audra

Mimi N said...

Christy, here is the website for Jonathan Friesen.

www.jonathanfriesen.com

Should've given that to you last time. Sorry.

~Mimi B