Thursday, June 12, 2008

With Endless Sight

I wish I could either rewind this day to its beginning and start fresh or fast forward to tomorrow just to have it over with. It's June 12th, and it's 60 degrees outside. That's not summer weather, even in Wisconsin. I woke up to find that Charlie had pooped on the kitchen floor. I tried to let him out, but it was raining so he wouldn't stay out long enough to do his business. I got a text message from Molly, because she thought she had a urinary tract infection. Several texts and a phone call later, I had an appointment scheduled for her, and yep, she does. My dad dropped by, and because Charlie hasn't met him yet, the dog peed all over my bed in fear. Charlie's a big sweetheart, but he's so afraid of everyone, that when he meets new people I have to take him outside so he doesn't have an accident. Dad dropped in unexpectedly, and now my bedding is is the washer. The prednisone withdrawal is ongoing; I'm done whining about that. Jesse and I are in the midst of a...difference of opinion. And tonight, I'm going with my mom and stepdad to help clean out my grandma's house, because she's going to stay in the nursing home, and they have to sell it. I think I'm going to turn the rest of the day over to the Lord and see what He can do with it, because I certainly haven't done much with it so far!


With Endless Sight by Allison Pittman is the third and final book in the Crossroads of Grace series. 14 year old Belinda has set out for Oregon from her comfortable home in Illinois with her mother, father, older brother, and cousin Phoebe. They've left behind a life of luxury to start anew in 1861 to leave behind the new war and enjoy life in an undiscovered country. But tragedy strikes leaving Belinda to rely on nothing but her faith, and she has to begin her life again and again. Poor Belinda! This young girl is taken from her familiar home, then loses her family, then her only friend, then security. One by one each of her anchors are taken from her until all she has left is God. I fell in love with Belinda and her pluck. Confronted by a murderer, she shares her faith and changes a life. She manages to change those around her just by living her simple, trusting faith. By the end of the book, she's learned some hard lessons and lived through more than most adults ever will, but her faith is unshaken. I wasn't ready for the series to end: what's going to happen to Chester? What about Sadie? Pittman has a fresh voice filled with faith and truth and a great deal of promise.

Another picture from the zoo today: it's prairie dogs!

0 comments: