Friday, April 18, 2008

My Soul to Keep

Mia is feeling much better today. She's been able to keep a little food down for the first time in 48 hours, and she's back to her active, talkative self. She's also on her fourth time through watching Wee Sing Musical Mansion; therefore, she's in the living room, and I'm in the bedroom. The first time through that movie was too much for me. When she was very ill, I did watch it through another several times with her, but I cannot wait to return it to the library. We own three of the other Wee Sing movies: Sillyville, Train, and Big Rock Candy Mountain, but we enjoy them in all of their cheesy glory. There's something about Musical Mansion that makes my jaws ache from grinding my teeth. It's one of those movies that I'm sure the actors involved fail to put on their resume for good reason. Even Happy Feet couldn't distract her from the awfulness of this movie, and when cute penguins can't rescue you, nothing can.


My Soul to Keep by Melanie Wells is the third book in the Dylan Foster series. It's another suspense filled novel filled with demons and hauntings by Peter Terry. Dylan's good friend's son is kidnapped, and her goddaughter Christine seems to have a psychic connection with the boy. Dylan's sarcastic, cynical outlook both serves and hurts her as she hunts down the kidnapper and tries to find out what her personal demon Peter Terry is up to. This is not a book to pick up if you haven't read the rest of the series, so find When the Day of Evil Comes and start there. Dylan is all too human as she waxes and wanes in her relationship with God, always trying to push forward on her own strength rather than trust or rely on the Lord. Sometimes I wanted to strangle her as she rushed headlong into trouble, but the writing is always entertaining and impossible to put down. Wells has created a character that is relatable and enjoyable to read. The ending brings some resolution but leaves several storylines up in the air, so I can't wait for Dylan's next adventure.

Tonight Mom, Molly, and I are going to the Oconto Library book sale. Book sales are my favorite events of the whole year, almost better than Christmas. I don't know how well I'm going to bear up tonight though. The wet weather has seeped into my joints, and my knees are causing me a lot of trouble.

Did you hear? Wisconsin experienced an earthquake this morning. The epicenter was in Illinois, but the aftershocks were felt all the way up to Green Bay!

0 comments: