Friday, March 14, 2008

The Bondage Breaker

My mom thinks I'm going to be lonely this weekend. Both of the older two kids are at their father's, and Mia is going to Madison for the weekend with Jesse's parents. Yep, I get two whole days without my children. Will I miss them? Yep! Will I be lonely? Not a chance! There are several grown-up movies at the library I'm going to watch with my husband (Gone Baby Gone and Elizabeth: The Golden Age), maybe pick up a bottle of red wine, and sleep in very late tomorrow morning.


The Bondage Breaker by Neil T. Anderson is a tough book for Christians. Many don't want to acknowledge the active spirit world or Satan or demons as real forces within it, because it seems illogical. Christianity has enough of a fight in today's culture without adding possession and spirit caused illnesses. I've been lukewarm about the issue in the past, but when I got the book, I decided to give it a shot. Anderson's stories of people he's worked with whose lives have been changed by defeating demons are amazing. He lays Scriptural foundation as to why we can believe that spirits are active today and why it's dangerous to ignore them. The book is rock solid in its premise, and the anecdotes are powerful and moving. The last seventy pages or so of the book are steps to take on your own to banish the demons that may be affecting your health, physical and mental. I split the reading up over several nights, and what I saw and felt was unbelievable. After the first night's reading, my husband and I suddenly found ourselves arguing. After a week of feeling very blessed with my life in all circumstances, all I could see was the negative. It took a couple more days of reading before I made the connection: I was under spiritual attack. There are difficult steps to take: make a list of everyone you need to forgive and then forgive them one by one out loud for their crimes against you; listing every place where you have allowed Satan access to your life; asking forgiveness for a multitude of sins. It's a tough book to read, but when I finished, I felt fifty pounds lighter. No more sob sessions or inexplicable fights with my husband. When I start having thoughts attacking my peace of mind, I recognize them for what they are. This book is an invaluable tool for Christians.

The winners of my book contest this week were Jason Knox and Tiffany Alfson. Congratulations!

0 comments: