Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Silent in the Sanctuary

I'm allowing myself my monthly whine. The cold, wet weather is sitting in my joints, and while I made it to work today, when I got there, all I could think was I should be home in bed. Rheumatoid arthritis wasn't made for Wisconsin weather. Jesse keeps suggesting we move to Arizona, and it's almost starting to sound appealing. So I'm curled up on the couch covered in my Aunt Alma's quilt which is reknowned for his healing properties. Thank goodness for good books to sweep my mind away from chilly Wisconsin to chilly Victorian England!


Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn is the second book in the Julia Grey series. Lady Julia is heading home with her two brothers Plum and Lysander (plus Lysander's new wife) for a family Christmas on the March country estate. But she's in for a surprise because her father has invited family members, neighbors, and the target of Julia's affection: Nicholas Brisbane, who just happens to bring his fiance. Every one of Raybourn's characters is a stand out, whether supporting or lead, they are fascinating and full of mystery. Even the family home, a former abbey, has a personality. The March family is well known for its eccentricities, but murder is something even they can't overlook, and when a young cousin confesses, Julia decides to find out the truth, no matter who gets hurt. The electricity between Julia and Brisbane arcs across each page, and the sibling rivalry among the March children is insightful and often hilarious. This Victorian romance/mystery is filled with lots of period detail and sparkling dialogue. Raybourn ends with a new home for Julia, and this series has a new home on my list of favorites.

Today I am an M&M, complete with the gray slides I can usually be found in and book in hand. If you want to make your own, go here.

0 comments: