Monday, January 21, 2008

Chill Out Josey!

Since I've been reading Confessions of a CF Husband daily, my perspective on my own life has changed enormously. Nate writes several times a day about his wife's struggle with cystic fibrosis. Tricia is currently in the hospital recovering from the birth of their daughter Gwyneth at 25 weeks. I've posted a few times last week about this family's strength and courage, and they truly are inspiring. Friday night, Molly was at a friends', Doogie was at his dad's, so it was just Mia, Jesse, and me. Jesse made his fantastic jambalaya for supper. Then we curled up in bed and watched a little TV. We tickled Mia and teased each other. Then the two of them fell asleep while I stayed up late reading a book. Watching their faces in slumber puts such contentment in my soul. Listening to the sounds of their deep breathing and soft rumbles puts a peace in my heart that very little else can. And then I thought of Nate, and I knew that he would pay any price to be sleeping in bed with his daughter and wife, and I realized what a true blessing every day, every moment is. I am not rich. My house is small and often messy. I will never win any awards for parent of the year. But what God has given me is so amazing and just what I need.

Mia and I are engaging in a rite of passage this afternoon: she's watching The Wizard of Oz for the first time. Mom thinks she's too young, but she still gets little freaked out by the flying monkeys. Mia is completely entranced and in love with the ruby slippers. She's pretty smart for a four (almost five) year old. We're watching the scene in the witch's castle. She just said, "Mommy, look the Lion is being brave, the Tinman is acting like he has a heart, and the Scarecrow acts like he has a brain. He's smart already!"

Chill Out Josey by Susan May Warren is the sequel to Everything's Coming Up Josey and picks up shortly after Josey's marriage to Chase. Josey is planning her happily ever after to Chase with a cute two story Cape Cod and 2.3 kids with a dog named Boo when Chase drops a bomb on her: he lost his job and has taken one in Russia. She's determined to be the Proverbs 31 wife and so does what she can to be his helpmeet. But God has some surprises in store: Josey's pregnant and Chase wants to do his job on his own, leaving Josey to find her own way in Moscow. I love Josey; she's a funny, brutally honest narrator. Even when she's struggling to make Chase happy, the reader knows the cost on her and her faith. Her confessions of weakness and need to succeed make her easily relatable and a good friend. Most women can relate to her frustration with weight gain during pregnancy and seeing all of Chase's size 2 co-workers. Warren focuses on a couple of verses again in this book. This time it's Ephesians 3: 18-19 May have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Josey comes to learn just how deep God's love is, and how keeping secrets in a marriage can (almost) destroy it. I love Warren's style of writing. She teaches while entertaining and creates characters that you want to visit again and again.

I'm holding another book contest this week. I'm giving away a copy of C.D. Baker's 101 Cups of Water: Relief and Refreshment for the Tired, Thirsty Soul. It's a wonderful hardcover book with short essays to lift up your soul. If you'd like to enter, just send me an email at clockstein@centurytel.net I'll take entries until midnight Thursday, and I'll post the name of the winner along with my review of the book on Friday. This is a perfect book to keep or to share.

1 comments:

CFHusband said...

Thank you!