Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Decked Out


Two days on Enbrel, and I'm not seeing any immediate results yet, except for the need to remain close to a bathroom. I'm a long way from giving up hope, and if an upset stomach is the cost for being pain-free, I'll take it!

Mia is enjoying her day off of school. She's dressed in one of her princess dresses, including crown and wand. All of the pillows have been stripped from every bed in the house for her fort in the living room, and she hasn't stopped talking since she woke up.

Molly and I are gearing up for Black Friday. I've already scoped out the ads, and I think we'll only be hitting Wal-Mart. I cashed in the change I had been saving all year, my PTO at work, and my eBay money so I have plenty in the bank. Now we just have to fight off the hordes of other women with the same intention of getting it all done with great deals in just a few pre-dawn hours on Friday.

The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Decked Out by Neta Jackson is sadly the last entry in this long-running, fantastic series. Jodi Baxter is getting ready for the holidays when she's mugged, throwing her plans into turmoil. But that's nothing compared to a surprise wedding, orphaned baby, and the end of Yada Yada as we know it. First of all, I was thrilled to find out that I was going to get to review this book. I've read the rest of the series and couldn't wait for this one. I was not disappointed. Jodi is still struggling to give it up to God, but the differences between this Jodi and the one from the first book are amazing. Jackson has done a terrific job allowing these characters to grow in realistic ways while bringing up tough topics for them (and us) to deal with. There are many lessons about God's love and how he works all things for good for those who love and believe in Him. Many scenes brought tears to my eyes, especially the scene when Denny took off his shoes; that brought chills. Other scenes had a bittersweet tint to them. Sweet because they demonstrated the Lord working, bitter because this is the end of the line. I am sad to see this series go, and it's one I regularly recommend to others for it's honest treatment of the races and racism, as well as other social justice issues. Jackson has enlightened me not only on God's love, but also how I view the world. I can't wait for the next series to start!

I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving! Drive safely and enjoy the time with family!

0 comments: