Thursday, November 01, 2007

Hollywood Nobody by Lisa Samson Chapter 1


Trick or treating wasn't quite up to my expectations last night, but it suited Mia just fine. Here's a pic when we got home, shortly before I collapsed.

This week I joined a new blogging group called FIRST (Fiction In Rather Short Takes). Every 1st of the month, I'll be posting the first chapter of a book for your perusal. Hopefully it's enough to get you hooked! This month we're featuring Hollywood Nobody by Lisa Samson. If you scroll down the page a bit you'll find the review I wrote on this title last week. Check it out!

Lisa Samson is one of my favorite authors. She's written several books including TigerLily, Club Sandwich, Women's Intuition, Straight Up, Songbird, and Quaker Summer. She's currently working on the release of Embrace Me.

Hollywood Nobody: April 1

Happy April Fool’s Day! What better day to start a blog about

Hollywood than today?

Okay, I’ve been around film sets my whole life. Indie films,

yeah, and that’s all I’m saying about it here for anonymity’s sake.

But trust me, I’ve had my share of embarrassing moments. Like

outgrowing Tom Cruise by the age of twelve — in more ways than

one, with the way he’s gotten crazier than thong underwear and

low-rise jeans. Thankfully that fashion disaster has run for cover.

Underwear showing? Not a good idea.

Fact: I don’t know of a single girl who doesn’t wish the show-itall

boxer-shorts phenomenon would go away as well. Guys, we just

don’t want to see your underwear. Truthfully, we believe that there

is a direct correlation between how much underwear you show and

how much you’ve got upstairs, if you know what I mean.

I’ve seen the stars at their best and at their worst. And believe

me, the worst is really, really bad. Big clue: you’d look just as

pretty as they do if you went to such lengths. As you might guess,

some of them are really nice and some of them are total jerks, and

there’s a lot of blah in-betweeners. Like real life, pretty much,

only the extremes are more extreme sometimes. I mean honestly,

how many people under twenty do you know who have had more

than one plastic surgery?

So you’ll have to forgive me if I’m a little hard on these folks.

But if it was all sunshine and cheerleading, I doubt you’d read this

blog for long, right?

Today’s Rant: Straightening irons. We’ve had enough of

them, Little Stars, okay? It was bad on Helen Hunt at the Oscars,

worse on Demi, yet worse on Madonna, and it’s still ridiculous.

Especially on those women who are trying to hold onto their youth

like Gollum holds onto that ring. Ladies, there’s a reason for keeping

your hair at or above your shoulders once you hit forty, and

ever after. Think Annette Bening. Now she’s got it going on. And

can’t you just see why Warren Beatty settled down for her? Love

her! According to The Early Show this morning, curls are back,

and Little Me ain’t going to tell why I’m so glad about that!

Today’s Kudo: Aretha Franklin. Big, bold, beautiful, and

the best. Her image is her excellence. Man, that woman can sing!

She has a prayer chain too. I’m not very religious myself, but you

got to respect people who back up what they say they believe.

Unless it’s male Scientologists and “silent birth.” Yeah, right. Easy

for them to say.

Today’s News: I saw a young actor last summer at a

Shakespeare festival in New England. Seth Haas. Seth Hot is

more like it. I heard a rumor he’s reading scripts for consideration.

Yes, he’s that hot. Check him out here. Tell all your friends about

him. And look here on Hollywood Nobody for the first, the hottest

news on this hottie. Girls, he’s only nineteen! Fair game for at

least a decade-and-a-half span of ages.

I don’t know about you, but following the antics of new teen

rock star Violette Dillinger is something I’m looking forward to.

Her first album, released to much hype, hit Billboard’s no. 12

spot its third week out. And don’t you love her hit single “Love

Comes Knocking on My Door”? This is going to be fun. A new

celeb. Uncharted territory. Will Violette, who seems grounded

and talented, be like her predecessors and fall into the “great defiling

show-business machine” only to be spit out as a half-naked

bimbo? We’ll see, won’t we? Keep your fingers crossed that the

real artist survives.

Today’s Quote: “Being thought of as ‘a beautiful woman’

has spared me nothing in life. No heartache, no trouble. Beauty

is essentially meaningless.” Halle Berry

Later!

For the rest of the first chapter go here!

I'll be back tomorrow with a review of Surrender Bay by Denise Hunter.

1 comments:

M. C. Pearson said...

Love the picture! Thanks for posting for FIRST!