Monday, July 16, 2007

What Happens When Women Say Yes to God

We think we have found our new church home. We visited a few churches and talked about going back to them, but three weeks ago we visited Celebration Church in Green Bay for the first time. Jesse's cousin Adam and his wife Heidi attend there and had invited us in the past. The first Sunday intrigued us, but the music didn't really move us. I missed last Sunday because of my RA, but Jesse, Mia and I made it again this Sunday. Mia enjoyed children's church, and Jesse and I were both moved to tears during the course of the service. His cousins (on the other side of his family) Johnny, Tina and Julie came along, and they all enjoyed it too. You know it's a good service when you get up at 6:30 on a Sunday morning and drive 45 minutes to get to church. I hope that the older two kids like it as much as we do. We really felt the Holy Spirit moving in us yesterday, and I pray that the kids will feel it too. It was wonderful to be in a church where I didn't have to worry about being judged if I raised my hands or closed my eyes or wiped away tears.It's a hard adjustment to make: leaving a church. My mom is disappointed, because our old church has been her family church for almost 80 years. Molly is worried that she'll never sing a solo in church again. Doogie is just worried about fitting in.

What Happens When Women Say Yes to God by Lysa TerKeurst is a wonderful devotional for women on the go. We have so much going on in our lives, and this books short chapters and easy readability make it perfect for tucking in the car or your purse. TerKeurst encourages readers to listen carefully for God to speak in their lives, and when he does answer yes with an unrestrained YES! She relates several times in her life when she did so and was amply rewarded for it, and her stories, as well as her humble attitude, are inspiring. My one and only complaint was that sometimes the telling felt a bit rushed. I think that each chapter could have been made into a book; she packs in so much good information, I wasn't ready to stop reading, and sometimes I felt like I needed just a bit more advice or aid to really get the point. I've passed this book on to my aunt; it's a good enough read that you want to pass it on.

Ian, Molly's special friend is coming tomorrow from Louisiana, so we are in a frantic rush to make sure that the house is up to his standards. He's a 15-year-old boy, so I'm not exactly sure what his standards are, so we'll use mine. Last time he came up, Molly was nervous and very edgy, because she wasn't sure what to expect. This time we're all a lot more relaxed, and we're going to have a good time.

0 comments: