Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Diva NashVegas

I read a quote by Donald Miller in Blue Like Jazz where he says that he is like a rechargeable screwdriver, the type that you plug in for 24 hours so that it can run for 10 minutes. He needs 24 hours of alone time in order to function for 10 minutes in public. I completely relate to that. As an only child, I spent much of my time with my nose in a book. I had to amuse myself, because there was no one else to play with. Being Mom and Wife all day leaves me exhausted and wanting nothing more than to curl up with a good book for a few hours to recharge my batteries so I can do it again the next day. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being a wife and mother, but at the end of the day when Jesse wants to talk, Doogie wants hugs, Mia needs reassuring after a bad dream, etc, I feel like finding a small closet and hiding in it until everyone is asleep. Last night, Jesse was in a talking mood, and I was in the middle of a compelling book. After a few short exchanges, he gave up and went outside to stargaze. He found an old book on the shelves that helped him locate constellations he'd never been able to find before. So I had my alone time, and he got to do something he really loves too. Some nights I stay up late reading not because of the ever-present insomnia, but because I just need to hear the quiet of the house. What do you do to recharge your batteries?


Diva NashVegas by Rachel Hauck is the fabulous story of country music star Aubrey James. Aubrey (think Carrie Underwood with a hint of scandal) is on the top of the charts, in all the tabloids, and about to breakdown. Her fiance proposed in front of millions of people, and she's not sure that's she's ready to marry him. She's still recovering from the death of her gospel music star parents, and her brother's been missing for years. One of her colleagues has turned on her and is telling Aubrey's secrets to the whole world for cold, hard cash. To defuse the controversy, Aubrey agrees to do her first sit-down interview with Nashville show Inside NashVegas. But the regular host is out on maternity leave, and sports host Scott has to take her place, but Scott and Aubrey have a secret of their own that may make this interview uncomfortable for everyone. I read a LOT of books, and this is one of the few I can say I genuinely loved. The switching first person narration from Aubrey to Scott with transcripts of their interviews really move the story along and keep the reader from feeling lost in Aubrey's tangled backstory. Hauck has a way of creating very sympathetic characters, and she's not afraid to portray them engaging in unGodly behavior. I was surprised to find Aubrey and her fiance sleeping together, but Hauck never goes into detail or condemns them for it. She also uses a theme that is unusual, but a good one: If you compromise to avoid confrontation, eventually you will find that you are far away from not only yourself but God as well. Aubrey isn't afraid to stand up for herself in her career, but in her life, she takes the easy road, until Scott shows her the life she's missed. Scott and Aubrey's relationship is a joy to watch, and I was very glad that Hauck didn't make Car a complete creep in a way that would have destroyed the realism of the story. Robin, the protagonist from the previous book, Lost in NashVegas makes an appearance as well.


I'm currently reading A Good and Happy Child by Justin Evans. It's a book about possible demonic possession. I generally try to avoid books like this, but the reviews made it sound too good to pass up. But I know that even reading about demons can open you up to things that just shouldn't be. Last night shortly after I drifted off, Molly and Mia came pounding on the bedroom door. They had both had nightmares that woke them up. Molly was too frightened to even move until Mia started screaming, and that sent them both to us. I prayed with them for their protection and for God to keep Satan from their dreams. Mia occasionally has bad dreams, but Molly only has them rarely, and never this bad. Coincidence? I don't think so. I'll finish the book quickly and keep praying.


Remember next Monday I'll be starting a contest for you to win a copy of Gone With the Groom, so come back then!

1 comments:

Rachel Hauck said...

Hey Christy,

Thanks so much for the lovely review. I really appreciated your insights.

You blessed me.

Rachel