Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This


I had the most wonderful day yesterday. Mom, Molly and I went to an Amish quilt auction. Mom and I have been going every year for over 12 years, but this was Molly's first. We had a terrific time. We ate junk food without worrying about how much. We spent the day talking together and laughing, and we spent entirely too much money. I came home without any lawn furniture, but I did get an ingenious oriole feeder, a matching bird feeder, two birdhouses, a large planter, and Mother's Day gifts for all our moms, and several decorative items for the house. It was a terrific Mother's Day gift for me. No one whined at me or asked for anything (other than money for soda), Jess didn't yell at me about the money I spent, and I got to spend the day with two of my favorite women (young woman in Molly's case). Any mother of a 13-year-old girl knows that rolled eyes and regular condescension are a teenage girls' stock in trade, but yesterday Molly held my hand, put her head on my shoulder, talked to me about her life, and never once rolled her eyes at me. I couldn't ask for a better Mother's Day present.


I really love spending time with my mom. I was a horrible child, of the type that other parents speak about in whispers. I don't know how often I made my mother cry, but every one of those was too often. I'm getting a bit of my comeuppance now: I've got three kids to her two. But mine are nothing like the monster I was. Every time one of my kids pass an age at which I remember doing something awful, I thank God that they haven't done the same. I had really great parents, but like all teens, I just didn't realize it at the time. I'm blessed now to have enough time to apologize and show them my appreciation now. My mom is the first person I call with good or bad news. When I have questions about parenting, she's the one I call. Mom has taught me so much about unconditional love. She's forgiven me for my multitude of sins, and there are many in my family who I have a hard time loving because of their addictions and problems, but Mom always treats them with love. She worries about them, prays for them, and when someone speaks ill about them, you can see the sadness in her eyes. Mom always drove Dad and I crazy with her kindness to the world's strays. Thanksgiving dinner always had a few extra plates at the table for those who had no where else to go. She's the kind of person who other people are drawn to, and I think it's because they can see that she cares and when they talk, she'll really listen. Mom's always the one who ends up talking to the person in front of her and behind her in line at the store, or actually they are talking to her while she listens patiently. Mom's a listener, another of her skills I have yet to truly learn. I'm glad that I have time to learn. Happy Mother's Day Mom!


Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This by Jenn Doucette is the perfect gift for a new mom, older mom, any mom! Jenn writes 12 short chapters about how to recharge your batteries, remember how important your kids are, reignite your marriage, and renew your relationship with God. All along the way she tells hilarious anecdotes and heart-warming stories. I finished the book Friday night and I already miss reading it. The chapters are brief enough to read while waiting to pick up the kids from school or practice, but they pack a powerful punch. She stresses the importance of being a mom while never losing your sense of humor or love for God. I'm passing this book on to my mom, my aunt, and my cousins, and I'll recommend it to everyone else.


Happy Mother's Day to all moms out there! Enjoy the day!

3 comments:

CD said...

Aw I'm sorry to hear that your daughter has arthritis, however that is how I found the site. I googled Juvenile Arthritis and for your blog. I have JRA and didn't even know that they are no longer calling it that, way new news to me, I also saw that you might have FMS, definitely another horrible disablitiy. I have that too.
Anyway. I hope you and your daughter the best with your arthrtis and fibro.
..CD..

Christy Lockstein said...

Thank you! She's doing extraordinarily well on the Naproxen. If I can find something that works half as well for me, I'll be a happy camper.

Anonymous said...

Christy,

Thank you so much for loving my book and passing it along to other moms on the run!

Your fab review has blessed my day.

Hugs,
Jenn Doucette
www.jenndoucette.com