Thursday, April 19, 2007

Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall






I hate days like today. I have my day neatly planned with all of the stops and errands in my notebook, appointments made, etc. And the van won't start AGAIN! I think we bought a lemon. It seems like almost once a week I have to call and cancel everything because of this van. I love the mobility it's brought me, but the payments, gas-guzzling, and constant repairs are really bringing us down. Mia is supposed to go to kindergarten screening today; I'm praying for a miracle between now and then. My frustration is pumping adrenaline through my system, so at least I'm getting things done around here.

Yesterday the silo on the farm was brought down. It was built in 1921. The crash was slight in the house, but it Mia and Tyler had fun watching the machine dig the hole and then pull it down. Mia kept a piece for her rock collection and memories. Keep scrolling to see how it ended up. The farmhouse down the road that belonged to Louis Lockstein was knocked down on Tuesday. Lots of changes in the air.

Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall by Bill Willingham is a lushly illustrated stand-alone hardcover comic from the Fables series. The stories take place between the happily ever afters in the fairy tales and their exile from their homelands by the Adversary. I can't say enough good things about the artwork in this book. Lush, lavish, sumptuous, this book elevates comic books to the level of art. Even the weaker stories are carried by the gorgeous art. Willingham allows Snow White to steal (or perhaps add) a page to Scheherazade's 1001 Arabian Nights as she entertains a temperamental sultan with tales of the Fables. The first story about Snow is worth the money for the book alone. If you haven't read any other Fables books, this is the one to hook you. You don't need to be familiar with the other comics to enjoy this one. If you are already a fan of the series, why haven't you read this already! Willingham adds depth to his already multi-layered characters, including giving a sense of tragedy to the comic Frog Prince. I was a bit disappointed with the origin of Bigby (Big Bad Wolf), but that's a minor quibble in a terrific book.


I just finished Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes, the first trade paperback in the classic series by Neil Gaiman. I originally read it years ago and had forgotten how dark it is. But the world seems to be getting darker too. Even though it was written almost 20 years ago, it's lost none of its power.

Bill Bradley had an excellent essay in last week's TIME magazine (I'm a week behind in my reading). That issue had a lot of fascinating articles about global warming, what other countries are doing about it, and what we can do about it. Read the stories online.

CFBA is touring A Bigger Life by Annette Smith this week. Check out the blog and the book too!

Keep us in your prayers if you would. It's been kind of a crummy week for most of the family. Jesse's gotten slammed with a bunch of homework (but he did get a raise, YAY!), I'm struggling between pain and buzzing with too much energy, and Molly's problem with the girlfriend has exploded. The girl's mother is a teacher at the school and has intervened, causing Molly lots of headaches. Add in the van worries (and the car needing new tires and a front end alignment), and it all comes to a stressful time for us.

I've added to my blogroll this week, check out the new links.

0 comments: