Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Pink


Watching the 5 o'clock news, I was listening to news about two little girls who were killed in a house fire about 20 miles from here. It turns out that I went to school with their mother. I flashed to the only real memory I have of her: she was in first grade, and I was in second. Her friends had turned on her and wouldn't let her play with them, and she was devastated. I gave her a hug, and we played together for the rest of the day. A few days later, her friends forgave her imagined wrong, and we never really interacted again. Now her daughters are lost, and I wish that somehow I could give her a hug and make everything right the way I was able to 25 years ago. She's in my prayers; I hope you'll put her in yours as well.


Pink by Marilynn Griffith is the first book in the Shades of Style series. Raya Joseph up-and-coming fashion designer trying to leave behind a broken heart. Flex Dunham is a handsome model/physical trainer trying to leave his past behind and be the man the Lord wants him to be. Of course they're going to meet and fall in love! The drama in the story comes from the struggles each character faces in coming to the realization that much like God's love, this love is one from which they cannot earn or hide from. The couple bond over his basketball team, especially a young player named Jay in need of parents. Raya works at Garments of Praise a Christian based fashion design company struggling to make ends meet while staying true to its goals. This book is filled with characters rich with history and begging for their own stories to be told. Lucky for us, Griffith has finished the first three, and the last is slated to be released later this year.


It's finally warming up here. I think the high today was 7. The van wouldn't start this morning, so Jess had to jumpstart it. Ugh! I think it's kind of amusing that the month that the new report on global warming comes out looks to be the coldest month in decades. Not that I don't believe that there's something up with our environment, but I do believe that the Man upstairs has a sense of humor.

0 comments: