Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Donkey Cons & Boo Hiss

The heat wave has broken, thank the Lord! I've got all the windows and doors open today (I'll deal with the flies later) to let the breeze blow through the house. It feels so nice to be out of the bedroom and actually have a little chill in the air. Remind me about how good cold air feels when I'm complaining about the cold this winter!

Donkey Cons: Sex, Crime, and Corruption in the Democratic Party by Lynn Vincent and Robert Stacy McCain was a bit of a disappointment. The cover and introduction promise stories of crime and misdoings throughout the entire history of the Democrat Party, but much of the book focuses on the last 25 years or so. Scandals involving Roosevelt and other older Dems are glossed over without detail. The writers seem to assume that the reader is already familiar with those events. Much focus is placed on the shenanigans of the Clinton White House, which almost seems to be an issue done to death. Vincent and McCain do bring up several Republican wrong-doers to be fair. I think the writers' strongest point is that while Republicans seem to face up to their crimes or at least have to pay the penalty, Democrats very often do not and are occasionally rewarded for them. This point alone is worth reading the book for.

Boo Hiss by Rene Gutteridge appears to be the last book in the series, but what a ride it's been! Dustin, the bookstore nerd, has lost his rare two-headed rosy boa constrictor, and the town of Skary, Indiana is turned on its ear during the search. This series is so full of whimsy and eccentric characters, it's almost guaranteed to bring a smile on each page. While Wolfe and Ainsley are each struggling with their own troubles, they, and the rest of the town, come to realize that God is in control, and sometimes you just need to let go. I did miss Missy in this book. There was a spark that she brought to the books that was missing a little in this one. Gutteridge is a terrific writer of humor, and I hope that she writes more of it in the future.

I'm finishing up the next book in the Gaslight series by Victoria Thompson, but so many books have come in, I'm not sure what I'll be reading after that. We're going camping with Mom, Jeff, and Jake this weekend. I don't know if that means that I won't have any time to read or lots of time to read. Either way, I hope the weather cooperates.

0 comments: