Sunday, July 16, 2006

Lessons from Mia Part 3

Last night we went to see the most amazing fireworks display. It's held about ten minutes away in a private owner's backyard. You can only get in by invitation, but once you're there all the food is free, just bring your own drinks. There was a DJ and lots of families walking around. Mia had a blast running around and playing. I realized while watching her how little it takes to make her happy. Just a chance to run around barefoot in the grass and spend time with her family brought a smile to her face. We sat visiting as the sun went down and slowly the stars started to come out. Mia knew that we were there to see fireworks, but I don't think she really understood what that meant. When the first star came out, she whispered the "Star light, star bright" rhyme, closed her eyes tightly and made a wish. When she opened them, she looked around and said disappointedly, "Mommy, my wish didn't come true." I asked her what she had wished for, and she said, "Fireworks!" I told her not to worry, that it would come true in a little while. Mom, Molly, Mia, and I had just decided to visit the port-a-potties before the fireworks started, and as we stood outside of them, the fireworks started. These fireworks were amazing, there were so many, they lit up the entire sky and you couldn't see all of them at once. Mia shouted in my ear, "Mommy, I did it! My wish came true! It worked!" She truly believed that it was the power of her wish that light up the sky. I can't help but think that if our faith was that strong when we prayed, God would light up the sky for us as well.

Mia's excitement diminished considerably when we got closer to the fireworks to sit down and watch the rest of the show from our chairs. She covered her ears and asked to go home. I talked to her throughout the show, pointing out how beautiful the lights were and telling her that she had made a wonderful wish, to which she responded, "I don't want my wish anymore." When the fireworks finally ended, she applauded with the rest of the crowd and vowed that she would never wish again!

I'm currently reading 1776 by David McCullough. I'm really enjoying his style of writing, which is good because I plan on reading his presidential biographies soon. My new goal is to read the history of the United States by reading a biography of each president. It'll take some time, but I'm looking forward to learning more about people like Teddy Roosevelt. I'm off to the only air-conditioned room in the house: our bedroom. The whole family is tucked in there. Unfortunately, Mia has control of the remote, so we're all watching Jay Jay the Jet Plane. But he's better than a 4th viewing of My Little Pony.

0 comments: