Friday, July 28, 2006

Insomnia (again!)

I'm so sick of insomnia. I'm not sure if it's the heat or what, but I can't seem to fall asleep at night. I'm ready for a nap in the middle of the afternoon, but at night, my mind won't stop racing and even my body seems ready to go. Last night and tonight I've done the laundry, loaded the dishwasher and cleaned the living room after midnight. Unfortunately, it's making it hard to keep my promises during the day. I'm so tired and achy when I finally do wake up, I don't want to do much of anything. But the Lord's been convicting me of my unservantlike heart lately, so I'm going to do what I can to take care of my family when I'm awake (like now) and do my best to be at least loving when I'm aching.

It seems like all the books I've had on reserve are suddenly coming in, so the stack at the end of my bed is not only not shrinking, it's growing to never before seen proportions!

A Nest of Sparrows by Deborah Raney is an absolutely beautiful story about how sometimes God makes us wait for the longings of our hearts. Wade Sullivan loves Starr Parnell and her three children with all of his heart, but when tragedy strikes, he has to put his faith in the Lord that he can keep the family together. Raney does a fantastic job at developing the relationship between Wade and the children through the quiet, everyday moments of making supper and bedtime routines. It's those things that really make a family, and she captures the heart of it. I was a bit concerned that the biological father would be another stereotypical 100% bad non-believer, but even he had depth to his character. Dee wasn't as well rounded as I would have liked, but she was believable and likable. Even the secondary characters had depth in this book. This book teaches one of the harder lessons of faith. Sometimes it's impossible for us to understand why God does the things he does, and then it seems even more impossible when He tells us to wait.

The weatherman is promising more sweltering days to come. I think we'll be taking refuge in the air-conditioned bedroom yet again. Thank goodness for DVD's from the library! This weekend we have Last Holiday with Queen Latifah and Prime with Uma Thurman.

0 comments: