Friday, March 24, 2006

Current/Recent reads




In the last couple of days, I finished reading Magdalene by Angela Hunt. I received a preview copy for Angela and Tyndale (thank you!) and read it immediately. This book is so powerfully moving and timely. It's a great rebuttal read for The DaVinci Code. Miryam of Magdala loses her entire family due to the rash act of her son, and her life quickly spirals out of control. Until she meets Yeshua, a prophet, who heals her mind, but can't change her heart. Miryam holds tightly to her anger and grief, refusing to cede contol to her Saviour until events unfold in a way that she can finally see the full fabric of her life. Hunt uses a beautiful piece of fabric as a powerful metaphor within the story. I had a hard time connecting with the character of Miryam at first until I recognized my own hard-heartedness in her. I too hold on to my anger and grief and refuse to accept the peace that Jesus is offering me. I'm very guilty of giving Him just enough control and then being proud of my humbleness. He wants so much more. Hunt did a wonderful job with her scholarship on this book, the settings come alive. Don't miss this book when it becomes available in April.

Last night I finished reading The Potluck Club by Linda Evans Shepherd and Eva Marie Everson. I wasn't sure about this one at first: I passed it off as more lite-Christian-chick-lit. I was pleasantly surprised by the depth to each character's emotions. While each may be a bit of a stereotype, they all rise above cariacatures for enjoyable reading. The recipes in the back of the book sound good, but I can't promise to actually try any. The character of Clay seemed a bit like an add-on rather than a true character. This is a great book for any book club though, I stayed up late reading it and teared up on the last page. Definitely a keeper.

I'm currently just over halfway through Kill Me by Stephen White. It's supposed to be a new episode in the long running Alan Gregory series, but so far Dr. Gregory seems more like an excuse to get his fans to buy the book than actually relevant to the plot. I'll keep you posted on that one.

My devotional reading at night right now is Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller. His book Blue Like Jazz has started changing me from the inside out, and this book just keeps cutting me to the bone. His irreverent writing style along with smart observations about the nature of God are just what I need to be reading right now.

That's all for now!

0 comments: